55-56 Plymouth Fury

ellagee

Helping a friend that just purchased a dissembled 1956 Fury.  He would like to find a Shop Manual and Parts book to help with reassembly .  He would also be interested in a parts car (55-56 Hardtop).  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Although not specifically "Plymouth", there are some '55-era Chrysler parts books online.  www.jholst.net .  This might, at least, give y'all an idea of how things are put together.

www.mymopar.com also has some older parts books online, for download.  I believe they also have all of the Chrysler MasterTech training course videos (and workbooks) online there, too, if not, the Online Imperial Club website does, converted to videos, from the FIRST to the last in the middle 1970s (at least in the video format).  There were usually yearly new model information, plus "How things work . . . " information. www.imperialclub.com   click on "Literature", then "Parts Resources" for parts book items.  Also click on "Repair Literature" for a whole bunch of great information, too!  A great amount of information on what made Chrysler products GREAT!.

There was an epherma website, www.Plan59.com, which had advertising and possibly sales brochures for cars from that timeframe.  I don't know if it still works, though, but many of those things can be found in other places, too.

Neat cars.  Best of Luck!

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

Up until the early 1970s, Chrysler had many one-off items on each year's vehicles, it seems.  Some more than others, although the vehicles looked to be "pretty much the same".

In the C-body area, '65 and '66 had different rear axles, parking brakes, and driveshafts.  '67 & '68 Newports/New Yorkers had the same casting of rocker panel moldings, but with the black paint in different places, model year specific, plus '67 and '68 deck lids were different.  '69 Chryslers had a "Ford-location" ignition switch, but '70 was on the steering column.  '70 Imperials used an windshield antenna -- only year and only Chrysler product I'm aware of that did that, until more recent times when the antennas came to be in the rear window glass.

In '67, the Imperial came to be a Longer-wheelbase Chrysler C-body, but also had a rubber-isolated k-frame to keep engine sound transmission to a lower level, as a body/frame vehicle might have.  For the 1969 C/Y-body re-design, sound isolation/road noise attenuation went to a much higher level of execution.

Some similar things existed on almost every vehicle, from year to year, in different magnitudes, back then.  Each model year had to be "better than the last", it seemed, although in some cases, not always as "better" as it was intended.

Once, I was looking for a "fresher" windshield washer reservoir for my '68 Buick LeSabre.  I found a similar Electra and got that one.  It was bigger, which amused me, being it was the higher-priced car.  I also noticed the Electra had a different hood pop-up spring the LeSabre didn't have. When I got the reservoir back to the shop, I ALSO noticed that the bolt holes to mount it were 1/2-hole wider on each side . . . not a bolt-on upgrade as I'd suspected.  Dang it!

NTX5467

• 2 weeks later...

1956 was the first year for the Fury. It was one of the hottest stock cars that year, and would outdo any stock Ford or Chev.

The engine was a 303 cu in version of the Plymouth polysphere, made in Canada for use in Canadian made Dodge and Chrysler Windsor, and used in no other US cars besides the Fury.

From what I've read, the 2x4bbl Fury ran like a Chrysler 300 in Plymouth disguise.  Enough so that the Plymouth's performance had to be "not admitted to" so as to not take anything away from the flagship Chrysler 300 and 300B models.  An "unexpected surprise", so to speak, as to just how fast and quick the smaller Plymouth was.

NTX5467