What Spare Parts Do I Need To Tour

I would like to know if anyone has a list of what spare parts they would recomend carrying when on tour with a 1934 Packard. I have heard that the list is rather extensive and would like to know what it contains. <P>Thank you.

I bought my Packard Twelve in 1955. About every 8 -10 years I take it out of service for a few weeks to go thru it.<P>Other than that, it was and continues in use as a second car, and great all around "beater". Have been all over western U.S. with it. Except for a "high speed" rear axle ( so I can cruise at 80 without beating the engine to death...remember...with a "stock" rear axle ratio...a pre World War TWO car's motor is spinning faster at 55 mph than a modern car is...at 100...!) mine is BONE STOCK.<P>The ONLY "spare part" I take on trips..is my VISTA card...WHY...because there really IS a reason for the "Packard Mystique"....they built damn good cars...that DO what you paid them to do....! In almost fifty years of stomping on the thing..it has NEVER came home by tow truck...I take that back..when I bought it in 1955...it had a bad battery...had to tow it home the first time ....since then..so far...so good !<P>The above is only applicable IF your Packard Twelve was re-conditioned correctly, by COMPETENT technicians who UNDERSTAND the technology of that fantastic piece of machinery....!<P>Pete Hartmann

34 Packard:<P>I tour extensively with my old cars. I bring quite a few spare parts, but to tell you the truth, I rarely use them. I have broken down more than once, but it seems that what I bring is never what I need.<P>What I do suggest is:<P>A good set of shop manuals<BR>A nylon tow rope<BR>Two gallons of water minimum (I like old Prestone jugs, they don't leak and are very tough).<BR>Four quarts of oil, more if your car is a user.<BR>All the stuff you need to change tires.<BR>A recent copy of Hemmings Motor News.<BR>CCCA club directory, so you can locate fellow car collectors to help out if needed.<BR>An extra electric fuel pump.<BR>One set of ignition parts (points, rotor, cap).<BR>Five feet of fuel hose and hose clamps.<BR>A multimeter.<BR>Some extra wire and wire strippers.<BR>One spare headlamp bulb and taillamp bulb.<BR>A decent general set of tools.<BR>A good atlas.<BR>Two good flashlights.<P>I think with this stuff, you can get through most everything. There is no need to fill your car to the brim with spare parts, unless your car has known cronic problems. Remember, most failures can be repaired out of town just like they can be at home. And prepare your car before you leave, it should have new points, plugs, oil changed, good compression, decent tires, etc.<P>Good luck, I look forward to seeing you and your beautiful car on the road soon! I am sure other readers of this thread will add their suggestions too.<P>Bill S<BR>Albuquerque, NM

Preparation for the trip is one of the best tools available. Go over the car as if you were giving it a major service in the garage, including tuneup, complete lubrication, check all fluid levels, check for leaks, check hoses and belts, adjust brakes and clutch, check lights, horn and battery, etc. etc. <P>Not only will this find and repair many minor faults that may let you down on the road, but you will also have a greater knowledge of the workings of your car should you need to do a field repair. <P>Don't forget your cell phone and that suggestion about taking the club directory is a good one. Some of us might actually enjoy getting called out to lend a hand.