1930 Pontiac

1arunem

Something to consider is how much night driving you might do.  Your original bulbs are Mazda 1110 which are 21/21 cp.  You can substitute Mazda 1000 which are 32/32 cp or Mazda 1188 which are 50/32 cp.  The 50/32's draw more than you original generator will put out unless you set the third brush right up to the top.  I found locally that all three of these were available from our local lighting wholesaler.  I had never thought of trying anywhere other than an automotive supply.  You can also by halogen bulbs.  I tried them from two suppliers but found they were not pre-focused properly.  If you wanted to try this option you need bulbs with a BA 15D base.  I put a 6 volt 40 amp one wire  alternator on my Pontiac because I drive hundreds of miles a month at night and wanted to use the brighter 50/32 bulbs.  With my reflectors re-silvered and the lamps aimed properly I can drive 55mph and stop within my headlight distance using the brighter bulbs.

I know nothing about the following links except using a google search they have all three bulbs in stock at a reasonable price.

http://www.donsbulbs.com/cgi-bin/r/b.pl/1188~candlepower-incorporated.html

http://www.donsbulbs.com/cgi-bin/r/b.pl/1000~mazda.html

http://www.donsbulbs.com/cgi-bin/r/b.pl/1110~mazda.html

Tinindian,

Was there much involved in the alternator conversion? I understand the one wire only requires the battery wire. Are you using a positive ground 6v alternator? Any special brackets required? 

Thanks in advance..

I had to make an adjustable arm.  The bracket on the block fit the alternator perfectly.  Pontiac is 6 volt negative ground so I just used a negative ground alternator.  Because the one wire alternators are self exciting they need to spin faster than normal to start charging.  Because of this and because I wanted to use the original belt I had to get a special pulley.  The pulley cost more than the alternator.  Have been using it for almost twenty years now (200,000 plus miles) with no trouble.   If I want to convert back it is one wire, two bolts and one cap screw (all done in ten minutes).  By making a new adjustable arm I was able to leave the original one on the generator which makes it easier to change.

The one that goes to the generator is now the one wire that goes to the alternator.  The generator had a third brush and a cutout to control the charge.  The alternator has an internal regulator.

Using the 50/32 bulbs there is only a momentary discharge when I turn them on and then the alternator holds the ammeter at zero even at an idle.

Sure we're interested.  Real nice car.  I notice that you have an modern ground from the engine to the frame.  Mine still has the original strap that goes around the motor mount.  I was having starter problems and just replaced the battery ground strap with a cable directly to the starter mounting bolt..  Then of course my lights were dim so I had to clean up the ground strap anyway.  You are missing the two rubber rings that collect plug wires 1, 2 and 3 together and 4, 5, 6 and the coil wire together.   I don't have them either, I took them off.  If the wires were a bit old or the weather was damp the used to cause a miss fire,  They were just an rubber o-ring about 1/4 inch around and 3/4 inch id.

If you have as much fun with yours as I have had in the last 56 years with mine you will have a great time.

Archived