New to TC: Intro and Looking For Parts!

Guest Coronet440

Guest Coronet440

Hey all, new to the forum. I have a 90 TC V6 that I bought about 5 months ago. It has 122k miles on it... Sort of. The transmission is a Chrysler rebuilt unit, not sure how long ago it was put in. Before that, I had a '93 LeBaron LX that was my dd. When I saw the TC, I got intrigued and researched its history. I bought the TC and swapped the 120k engine that smoked and was getting oil in the coolant with my 58k engine that ran great from my LeBaron. That gave me a newer engine without the valve seal issues that '92 3.0's were prone to have. I've been systematically replacing all the core pieces with the best quality replacements and remanufactured parts.

Already installed:

Reybestos front calipers

Centric Drilled/slotted front rotors

Reybestos premium rear rotors

Platinum Wraith 15" aluminum wheels with Goodyear all-weather touring tires

Preparing to install:

KYB Rear gas struts

Moog front hub assembly

What I'm having a hard time sourcing is a replacement relay box for the ABS relays. That mess is a cluster-you-know-what. For now I have a temporary fix involving half a roll of electrical tape, but basically the lid on my box doesn't close and more recently, the relay connecters pushed out of the box when inserting the relays back.

I have two cars im hoarding parts from: A '91 Dynasty and the LeBaron, but neither seem to offer me a suitable replacement.

I have a bunch more questions of course, but I'll leave them for later discussions.

post-154146-0-14612400-1437435381_thumb.

post-154146-0-76012200-1437435396_thumb.

post-154146-0-17858300-1437435409_thumb.

Guest joeworf

Well, good to see another entry into the fold. Can't really help you with your problem but thought I'd give ya a "welcome". I have a '91 red TC (I've had it about a month shy of two years) and I live in the Alexandria area. Maybe we'll pass on the road some day. So far I' haven't encountered another TC on the road in these parts. :-)  JOE  

Guest Coronet440

Bob- I've done more than my fair share of research regarding drilled rotors. With all "upgrades," you get benefits and drawbacks. Cracking at the holes only happens during excessive braking or frequent extreme stops, such as in a racing environment. I am not racing this car. I do acknowledge the increased brake wear rate, but there are proven stopping distance improvements, and failure of the rotor isn't nearly as likely if its been properly drilled and prepared, like in the instance of the higher end 128 series Centric rotors. You'll get similar counterculture articles on everything from LED lighting to upholstery cleaner.

Joe- I'd be more than happy to drive out and meet a fellow TC owner. I'm sure we could spend an afternoon talking about our cars, though I suspect we'd mostly be talking about how many things on mine still need to be fixed. Next on my list of parts to order: Rear calipers and Accumulator. My pump kicks on at 4 taps.

Guest BobFitz

Bob- I've done more than my fair share of research regarding drilled rotors. With all "upgrades," you get benefits and drawbacks. Cracking at the holes only happens during excessive braking or frequent extreme stops, such as in a racing environment. I am not racing this car. I do acknowledge the increased brake wear rate, but there are proven stopping distance improvements, and failure of the rotor isn't nearly as likely if its been properly drilled and prepared, like in the instance of the higher end 128 series Centric rotors. You'll get similar counterculture articles on everything from LED lighting to upholstery cleaner.

Joe- I'd be more than happy to drive out and meet a fellow TC owner. I'm sure we could spend an afternoon talking about our cars, though I suspect we'd mostly be talking about how many things on mine still need to be fixed. Next on my list of parts to order: Rear calipers and Accumulator. My pump kicks on at 4 taps.

Show me the documented numbers of stopping distances by independent sources ( not manufactures or vendors) and I will be open to changing my mind.

Bob

Hey all, new to the forum. I have a 90 TC V6 that I bought about 5 months ago. It has 122k miles on it... Sort of. The transmission is a Chrysler rebuilt unit, not sure how long ago it was put in. Before that, I had a '93 LeBaron LX that was my dd. When I saw the TC, I got intrigued and researched its history. I bought the TC and swapped the 120k engine that smoked and was getting oil in the coolant with my 58k engine that ran great from my LeBaron. That gave me a newer engine without the valve seal issues that '92 3.0's were prone to have. I've been systematically replacing all the core pieces with the best quality replacements and remanufactured parts.

Already installed:

Reybestos front calipers

Centric Drilled/slotted front rotors

Reybestos premium rear rotors

Platinum Wraith 15" aluminum wheels with Goodyear all-weather touring tires

Preparing to install:

KYB Rear gas struts

Moog front hub assembly

What I'm having a hard time sourcing is a replacement relay box for the ABS relays. That mess is a cluster-you-know-what. For now I have a temporary fix involving half a roll of electrical tape, but basically the lid on my box doesn't close and more recently, the relay connecters pushed out of the box when inserting the relays back.

I have two cars im hoarding parts from: A '91 Dynasty and the LeBaron, but neither seem to offer me a suitable replacement.

I have a bunch more questions of course, but I'll leave them for later discussions.

have you thought of eliminating the Teves ABS system?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Coronet440

Hello Hemi,

Yes I have considered switching to the different system, since I have a Lebaron that has everything required to donate that system in my front yard. But I don't want to lose ABS capability! Is there any way ABS can be brought over from Lebaron?

If your donor LeBaron has working ABS it can be moved and the Bendix system controller cabling will need to be swapped with the Tevis controller cabling. Personally I wouldn't expend that kind of effort for anything less than braking with stability control.

I see from the other post that Hemi suggested swapping the rear suspension and if your donor LeBaron has working ABS you might just solve two problems at once.