1923 Model 45 front shimmy

Tom Getz

While driving in a parking lot at about 10 MPH, my steering wheel started to violantly shake left and right.  The only way to stop the shaking it was to completely stop. 

There is VERY little movement on the wheel/spindle; the bearings look good on the wheel that I have off.  I am at a loss to figure what could have caused this to happen at such a slow speed.  This is the first time this has happened, and I tour the car about 500 + miles per year.

Death Wobble (undampened oscillation of the front suspension).

I've had it on my '23 if you hit 2 bumps with both front tires about a 1 foot after the first side to side with something loose.

I found the drag link too loose and took up the slack with the adjustment nut and cotter pin at both ends.  My king pins and tie rod ends have been rebuilt.  Fixed it.

If this does not work, a set of period shocks (which were not standard equipment) is the real solution.  You could add an inexpensive tie rod damper piston that are popular on early jeeps, etc..  I've also thought that lubing the leafs of the leaf springs could also be a contributor.  You don't want to lube them.  The friction of the leafs against one another is in fact dampening.  Lube them and you lose this.

Good point.  Anything 'loose' from the steering box to the tire could contribute.

I most recently had it after 4 days of touring in the pouring rain in Ohio in June.  I contributed it to the water finally working its way into the front leafs since everything is 'tight'..  Since everything dried out, have not had it since.  And as stated, it only happens at a very low speed and in my case when you hit a bump on one side of the car and then the next side at just the right distance apart and speed and the leafs low on friction due to being wet too.

As our old Physics teachers told us, everything has a natural frequency and in this case the energy input is the motion and mass of the vehicle 'driving' the response which is the side to side wobble oscillation of the complete front suspension system.