1934 Packard Polarity Question

Guest Tom Timmins

Guest Tom Timmins

I have '34 Packard Std 8 which I have owned for about a year. I ground and reseated the valves and it runs quite well. A few days a go it stopped charging. The orginal Packard cutout had been replaced with a more recent version, still a cutout, but not working. The brushes did not appear to be making good contact, but before removing it, the cutout was bypassed and the generator seemed to working a little.  The issue was it seemed to be set up for a negative ground system. The battery is difficult to see, so I took it.  The negative was the ground.  It seemed to work this way. The generator is at the shop; does it change the wiring? I am a little lost as how to proceed.  Any suggestions?  Thanks Tom

34 Packard should be 6V + ground. Generator will work either + or - ground, it just has to be polarized. I don't know if someone changed the wiring around or just put the battery in backwards. If you have a wiring diagram you can check if anything has been changed but probably it was just the battery. Do you have an ammeter? If the battery is backwards it will read backwards unless someone reversed the wires. This should tell you if anyone changed the wiring.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Guest Tom Timmins

Thanks Rusty. The generator will be rebuilt, the Amp gauge wires un-crossed and the battery connected with a positive ground. I think I will go with a regulator.

Thanks Rusty. The generator will be rebuilt, the Amp gauge wires un-crossed and the battery connected with a positive ground. I think I will go with a regulator.

I would suggest that you not install a regulator. Your car came with a cutout, it is nice to leave it appearing original. I install a heavy duty + ground diode inside of the cutout. You now have modern technology and no one can tell what is under the cover of the cutout.  Never use a flame when soldering on a diode.