91 rims question

Mr. Anderson

My 91's rims and two of the center caps are not in the best of shape. Are the 1991 style rims painted aluminum or clear coated aluminum? I seem to recall something about them being painted with a kind of silver paint posted not too long ago. If they are indeed painted, can someone give me the paint code so that I can respray my rims and center caps? Also, if they are clear coated, am I able to wet sand and reapply clear coat without many issues? Thanks in advance!  :)

The 16" rims on the 1991 Reattas are both painted and clear coated.

When made, they were first painted silver in almost all cases....a few were painted white.

Then the outer edge was machined, exposing the aluminum as the paint came off.

Last they were clear coated on both the painted and machined surfaces.

I have the silver wheel paint number around here somewhere.....someone else may be able to find it faster.    I do not know if you can successfully sand the existing clear coat and spray on new and have a good looking wheel.

Two things I'd mention. First, the black line between the machine and painted portions will likely have to be hand applied by a pin-striper. Find one you can work with prior to doing the refinising. Second, the plastic "rivets" will probably need replacement as most places bake the new finish at high heat, melting the rivets, if they aren't removed in advance. There is no way to remove them non-destructively, they have to be drilled out.

Here's a source for new rivets I used on my refinished 91 wheels. They are black with a domed head, and are the correct dimension. The only difference is they have a small hex key insert in them (about 1/8"). This actually makes them easty to install as you can use an allen socket of the correct size on a socket wrench extension to tap them in. The link: http://m.ebay.com/itm/100-PCS-BLACK-CUSTOM-WHEEL-RIM-PUSH-IN-STYLE-PLASTIC-RIVETS-RB-106-25-HOLE-/321362652466?nav=SEARCH

KDirk

Edited by KDirk (see edit history)

Additional comments.

The wheels I had refinished did not have the black rivets removed and they came back painted.    I first thought about scraping the paint off but this would break the seal on the clear coat,  my solution was to hand paint them black.    This was done in 2007 and they still look great.

The refinishing company did not paint the black line.   I tried several different paint brushed but did not like the results of any.   The solution I found.... I picked up a couple of hypodermic syringes at the farm store, I also purchased some fairly large needles.   I ground the sharp point off the needles then polished the ends so they would not snag or scratch anything.    Thinned some gloss black rustoleum paint and poured that into the syringe.      Lay the needle end in the groove...force out some paint then with a pool of paint in front of the needle...push it forward, allowing the paint to wrap up the sides of the groove in the wheel.

Note that the wheel will be flat on your work surface... the results were excellant.

On Chasing Classic Cars Wayne Carini pinstriped the wheels on an old car by hand. He used a paint dispenser with a small narrow roller on the end similar to the one below. He just held the roller in place against the wheel where he wanted the stripe while a helper turned the wheel by hand. It came out looking perfect on my TV. :) .

9099a06cb51c7edc5e436ba7991412a8.jpg?ito

On Chasing Classic Cars Wayne Carini pinstriped the wheels on an old car by hand. He used a paint dispenser with a small narrow roller on the end similar to the one below. He just held the roller in place against the wheel where he wanted the stripe while a helper turned the wheel by hand. It came out looking perfect on my TV. :) .

9099a06cb51c7edc5e436ba7991412a8.jpg?ito

I saw that episode.  I think some clever video editing made it look easier then it is. I will say it is designed for the novice end user.  Maybe I just wouldn't trust myself doing striping.

For the emblems on my 7 spoke chrome LeSabre wheels I use nail polish. It leaves a hard durable finish, comes with a brush and is easy to touch up. The advantage is I get the women in my life [wife, daughters] to do it for me. They have years of experience.

I am sure you can find a blavk for your rivets...