ABS sensors: a SAAB story!

Guest Rattea

Guest Rattea

The yellow idiot brake light comes on at 15 MPH.    Bad left front sensor.  Wm Rule tells me to get one for a SAAB .   Part number;  400i459    3179       or     3259 4001467.    The Reatta sensor is 1/4 inch shorter than the SAAB.   The SAAB has the mount holes in the wrong place.   No problem because I had to make an adapter out of 1/4 inch plastic and drill new mount holes.  Plugs in correctly and is ithe correct length   Works just fine!   My ABS brakes work as they were designed.    I see new ones on Ebay for less than $100 a full set.    I've driven over a thousand miles with the SAAB sensor and no problems at all.  

I had suspected this was the case for a while as all cars with Teves MKII had their sensors made by ATE to the respective manufacturers mounting specs. Electrically they should all be identical; at least in theory. So, you have at least partially proven my hypothesis with thisnone part number. This is good news as it opens up another avenue for the long haul when there are no more good used Reatta leads left to repair, as Dave has been doing successfully for a while now. I've been eyeing some Volvo sensors as an experimental replacement as they are readily and cheaply available. I may be inspired to do so now.

Second sourcing workable parts is going to be a big part of our existence as Reatta owners going forward. Posts like this are immensely helpful to that end.

KDirk

• 5 months later...