What Radial Tire Size Equivalent Are You Using For Your 16" Tires?

Hi Guys,

I want to update the old 6.00 16's on my '38 Plymouth to a newer/safer radial. I'm curious what you're using.

Greg

Guest bkazmer

For the way the average 38 Plymouth is driven maybe not.  In general as a car tire, yes - contact patch size under lateral loads

Guest bkazmer

Gee, I'll help with the math then.  6 inches =152.4 mm  Difficult to find something like a PR155, so as narrow as you can find (185?) with a 75-80% aspect ratio.  Your fender clearances are pretty big compared to other cars so you can get away with some extra width

In my opinion nothing ruins the look of an antique more than radial tires unless it's a rod but then you didn't ask for my opinion. Call Coker.

You're right. I didn't.

Radials are safer?

Unequivocally, unambiguously, yes. I have been driving aggressively and otherwise on radials for over 1/2 century. On many types of old cars. Greg , and bkazmer are quite correct. Average "anycars" driven under average conditions can suddenly find themselves in other than average situations. The lower slip angle of radial tires contributes to the improved handling which may help to avoid an accident. Perhaps there may be some exception to this , but that will depend on some authorative expert to chime in here. Greg , in years past I have used high pressure radial truck tires to greatly improve handling on some of my old cars. Also , I had 16" Michelin radials on my race modified XK120 MC. One day I suddenly found myself in the middle of a high speed multi-car pileup on the freeway. The Jag' threaded through it as cars bounced off one another and self destructed. No time for sweat or fear , the radials helped me to put the car where I wanted it to be , when it had to be there. Hey , I gotta get down the line to try to get my 1927 Cadillac to CCCA Grand Classic this weekend. No time right now, but I can flesh out some of this later. You might see if there is some truck tire that will make your '38 Ply' a safer cruiser. Subjective , but IMHO radial truck tires on an old cruiser look very "cool" , and right down to practical business. Again , old Carl's humble opinion , but we are all entitled to 'em. - Old , Carl

Back in the day I used Dunlop RS5s in 6.00x16 for the XK-150S. Today my cars use 225x60x16s but that wants a 7" rim. Why don't we start with what does your car weigh ? There are small 16" radials but I'd hate to see you undertired.

Gidday Greg.

I have researched this subject to replace the cracked sidewall 600-16's on my 39 Chrysler and in my opinion came up with a good radial tyre compromise.

I found that Yokohama (an others) have a Light Truck Tyre in 185 85 16, the Yokohama's in particular have straight side walls and look the part with a plain narrow tread design. Cost Au $145 ea ( Approx $108 Usd)

When inflated they are about a 1/2" overall smaller dia than the 600 16's and no more an inch wider at the sidewalls.

I also found when inspecting various different brands in the same size that they do differ in physical dimensions,(and price) and  just because they are marked as 185 85 16's does not mean they are made to the same overall size tolerances.

To fit these (or similar quality brands) you will need to use inner tubes and I used a 5.50-600 16 tubes suitable for Radial Tyres (radial tubes). (Cost $AU 5-50 Ea)

I dont know where you are located so you will need to source a suitable locally available brand, but do inspect them physically for size, tread design, sidewalls and ply ratings before you buy.

I topped mine off with some Atlas thin white strip flappers ( Porta Walls??). The thin white walls hug the tyre beautifully and are not as 'cumbersome" as the bulky wide white wall type.

I hope I have been of some help and I know I will get criticized by the Tyre techo's and Purists for some of my recommended content, then again that is what a forum is for.

Good luck in your search,

R

P.S Be wary of all the cheap Chinese brands, you won't believe how many obscure brands there are!!

Hello Greg,

Check out Diamond Back tires. There is a lot of good info on their web-site. If you want to keep the look to the era of your car, look at their new Auburn Radial. It looks like an old piecrust side wall bias ply tire.  Not sure when it will be availible. I know it will be expensive.

Mike

One option is LT215-85/R16 tires for light trucks and SUVs.  These will fit on 4.5" wide rims, though tubes might be suggested on older wheels.  They will be close to the same diameter as 6.00-16 or 6.50-16 bias tires.  Try Googling for tires from your local discount store.  These are probably the skinniest, tallest 16" radials that you will find.  I don't think that LT205-85/R16 tires are available, but I would love to be wrong.

Coker has the only radial (black or whitewall) at present, that is an exact replacement for the 600 x 16 and will fit a 4" wide wheel.  (What is your wheel width, by the way?)  Diamondback says they will be offering a 600 x 16 radial equivalent this fall, or later.  I would check with both companies if I were you.

Here's a long shot:  I'm in touch with a fellow '37 Terraplane owner in New Zealand who is successfully using Bridgestone "Dueller" radials, 205R16c on his original rims (4" I assume). They are way cheaper than the Cokers, and he does a lot of back road driving so they hold up.  These tires were not (so far as I know) imported to the US but you could take a look.  Maybe some found their way to the U.S.  They are blackwalls, however, and probably do not have the skinny 1930's "look" you might be seeking.

trickydicky43richard

Posted Yesterday, 10:18 PM

"185 85 16 Lt are available and closer match"

Yes, both 185/85R16 and 205/85R16 would be a closer match and look more authentic, but they don't seem to be available in the U.S., unfortunately.  We can buy LT215/85R16 tires here, and they seem to be the narrowest 85-section tires available.  A pity!  It may be possible to special order the narrower ones, but they don't show up in any Googling of U.S. tire dealers or distributors as stocked items.  Maybe you can send us some skinny ones from Australia.

Thanks Guys.

Richard, I will check the 185/85/16. Do you have to run tubes in them? I'm not a big fan of tubes if they can be avoided.

Gary, I agree some of those closer match sizes would be great but I've had no luck locating them here in the U.S.

Greg

I'm coming up empty on the 185/85/16 over here, Rich.

My local tire shop came up with a 225/70/16 as an equivalent to the 6.00 X 16 but I think that may be too wide for my 4 inch rim. I don't want the tire to balloon out on the sides. A bit might be OK but not too much. 

Greg

Greg, Surely you have a range of 1/2 or 1 tonne Toyota/Mazda/Nissan etc tray back's/utes in the US of A.  

These smaller light commercial vehicles run Light Truck Tyres on various size rims including 16".

Don't go over 205 wide as you risk interfering with mudguards/fenders on bounce, hard lock and/or chafing your brake hoses !!!

Re previous post by Chris B and 47 Mopars, these wheels may have welded in centres and therefore "airtight" but my 39 has riveted in centres and so would all Mopars of that vintage. These riveted center versions would allow pressure to leak down thru and around any imperfect riveted connections.

For an idea on LT tyres(tires) try the Aussie Ebay .. WWW.Ebay.com.au and type in 185 85 16 tyres for example You should find some Yokohama RYO1's for reference. Our dollar is so bad at  the moment I wonder on smaller items Us buyers could take advantage, long shot though!!

Rich

US car makers discontinued making or importing small pickups.  Even the Japanese companies don't bring in the smaller SUV's.  Actually, Richard, it seems that all of the trucks delivered in the US have big tires.  Sometimes, GREAT BIG tires...

bigfoot-20-electric-1355511858.jpg

If you must use tubes, be sure to first remove the paper tags which may be glued or vulcanized inside of your tires - they would otherwise squirm against the tube and cause the tube to leak. This happened to me with 3 new tires in less than 100 miles. I got new rims with silicone sealer and went back without tubes.