Scored a T

whtbaron

I wasn't really looking for Model T parts, but this one fell into my lap this week so I saved it from the shredder. Obviously a later Model T 2 door sedan with not much left to go on. No frame or tags for numbers. I was thinking it was either a 26 or 27, but it could be earlier. Anyone have any easy tricks for nailing down the year on one of these? It was one of those years when bullet holes were an option...

post-90572-0-30073400-1436759026_thumb.j

post-90572-0-31759000-1436759071_thumb.j

post-90572-0-60235300-1436759095_thumb.j

post-90572-0-12714700-1436759127_thumb.j

Yes, 1926 or '27. You can tell by the firewall which bulges forward some from the cowl. 1925 and earlier model T Ford two door sedans had a firewall that bolted to the front of the firewall, but is otherwise mostly flat.

It looks like it could be restorable. Maybe a bit ambitious to get all the rest of the pieces? But, actually, I have restored a couple cars starting with worse.

Not sure what my plan for it is yet. I am looking for a cowl for a speedster project, but I'd hate to cut this up just for the cowl. It would be much easier to find an obscure old touring with the back ripped off. I might trade it for something I want more.  If someone rods a Model T and discards a good chassis, who knows, a restoration could happen yet. Too bad it isn't a 23, I've actually picked up an ID tag for one of those in an abandoned yard we broke up. Any easy ways to discern if it's a 26 or 27?

That door on the cowl is actually for the gas tank. Up to 25 it was still under the seat. Also the coil box went out in the engine compartment in 26 so there aren't any round holes in the fire wall.I don't know the difference between the 26 and 27 but by far most are 26 models Unfortunate that you don't have the doors as they're probably the most valuable parts of the whole body Good ones are used up on the 28-29 A pickups.

Edited by Dave Mellor NJ (see edit history)

I found a post on the HAMB that said the door jambs in 26 roadsters are screwed, while the jambs in 27 roadsters are riveted. Not sure if that's confirmed or if it applies to a Tudor body as well. If the doors are interchangeable with A pickups, that might actually increase my odds of finding them in farm country. Unfortunately it looks like the hinges are damaged as well.

As 28 Chrysler says, I also know that there were some minor changes in the brackets and bracing between early and late 1926 and 1927 two door sedans and coupes.  But I also don't really know what those differences are. I think the window riser mechanism may have also changed during that time. I usually play around with earlier stuff. However, the so-called "improved" Ts of '26/'27 have a very loyal following. One thing about model Ts. Although there are a lot of them around, there were so many minor variations on them that if you were to restore this and use the "wrong" window riser (for instance), nobody would really care. Most would just be pleased to see it restored and back on the road again.

The '15 runabout I am currently restoring, I started with just about that much.

I've also been trying to find those differences listed somewhere on the WEB but not having much luck. Some also say there are differences in the door latches, but don't really describe what they are. These appear to be wedge shaped for what it's worth. The jambs do appear to be riveted in rather than screwed, so I'm leaning towards it being a 27.