starts, then stalls

Blue90

Agreed. Not sure why it is at the end of the trouble shooting tree in the FSM. Always use the KISS method, start with the easiest stuff first. Luckily I've not had this issue on any of mine yet so hadn't yet familiarized myself with the symptom or the solution. Glad it was covered here, now I know.

KDirk

Checking to see if the SES bulb is burnt out or missing should be the very first thing to verify once a E026 code has set instead of covering all that other ground in diagnostics wasting time, energy, hair and beer.

John F.

This is why we missed you.

Agreed. Not sure why it is at the end of the trouble shooting tree in the FSM. Always use the KISS method, start with the easiest stuff first. Luckily I've not had this issue on any of mine yet so hadn't yet familiarized myself with the symptom or the solution. Glad it was covered here, now I know.

KDirk

Hey, anything I can do to help.

So I take apart one of my older IPCs to change bulbs with my good IPC.

As careful as I was I could not get the bub out without breaking it, nor the second one I tried.  

It appears the bulb sits on 2 pins but is glued to the motherboard.

How to remove?

Thanks,

Stanley

The 90/91 ipc has bi-pin lamps soldered in to the board. Not easily replacable as with the 88/89 clusters which use 194 wedge base lamps with twist out holders. If you are comfortable soldering it isn't terribly difficult. I need to look up the lamp type, it is made by Chicago Miniature and I have the exact number here somewhere. Will look it up and post it. I ordered some from Digikey a couple of years back.

KDirk

Code E026 (Quad-Driver Circuit) is probably the hardest code to troubleshoot by the average shade-tree mechanic. It is certainly the least understood by the average Reatta owner.

Woody, a member of this forum (89 Maui), struggled for a long time trying to find out what was causing his code E026 using the FSM. Anyone who has used the FSM to troubleshoot a code E026 will know it is not an easy task.

By the time Woody had found the cause of his code E026 he had got to know that section of the FSM really well. Knowing how hard it had been for him to find his problem following the flow charts in the FSM, he decided to help other Reatta owners by condensing what he had learned about the code E026 into a tutorial that I put on Reatta Owners Journal. Woody spent several hours trying to write the tutorial in a simple way so most Reatta owners could understand how to perform tests needed to find what was causing their E026. I spent considerable time getting his tutorial laid out on the ROJ in a way that almost anyone could troubleshoot the code E026 if they are willing to take the time to follow simple instructions.

When Woody and I worked together to come up with the tutorial I don't think either one of us anticipated disagreement with the sequence the tests are in. Woody may have had a reason to put the tests in the sequence they are in because we stressed in the tutorial that each test should be completed successfully before moving on to the next one. Even if the tests are out of sequence I'm grateful for the work Woody did to make the tutorial possible. Thanks Woody!

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...