Just doing some tinkering on my 90 TC. Cigarette lighter doesn't work and I don't feel like pulling both seated to remove the center console to pull the lighter to check the wiring...blah blah blah..

So I was looking for an easy way to add a new plug for charging phones, musice players..etc. When I noticed this plug lying disconnected in the dash. I looked all over for the mating plug (short of  unclipping the fuse block) and found nothing.  Anybody have an idea what it's for? I get 12 volts+ across the black and pinkish and pinkish and prpl/blk.

th_CAM00527_zps8fgsuzqj.jpgth_CAM00528_zpsy9ze2tai.jpgth_CAM00530_zps429maext.jpgth_CAM00531_zpsufzsywg9.jpgth_CAM00532_zpsxcw8rdlu.jpg

You you can slip your hand up under the carpet flap or pull the ash tray and use your fingers to feel for the connection, you don't have to pull the seats to find out if your lighter socket is disconnected. Most likely place for your no power to lighter socket problem is a corroded plug connect under the carpet directly in front of the right side seat.

Have no idea what the un used plug was intended for, I did buy the parts guide for the TC a few months ago and when I got it, I discovered that the thousand some pages covered multiple Chrysler passenger car models and this fuse block has lots of homes..

I know the socket is connected on the ligher, in fact when I put my stereo system in years ago I replaced the lighter. I never got around to chasing down the lack of power (but it wasn't a priority then) Just wondering if I can tap into the mateless plug as a power source for a USB power source under the dash....

Simple rule of thumb with electrical wiring is that; voltage sources have female connector ends and this is a male end cable.  If all you're going to power is a USB, you can pretty much tap anything that has a constant 12v and not have to worry about current draw. Before you use this for power, you do find out if power is switched or constant, and does it work with chassis ground. About the last thing you want to do is create a floating ground problem,

Whatever you do, DO NOT USE THIS CONNECTOR FOR ANYTHING except to diagnose your 604 (41TE) automatic transaxle.

This connector is to be connected ONLY to a diagnostic tester such as a SnapOn 2500 or the Chrysler diagnostic system at the dealership.

You see that velcro on the connector plug, that is to secure it where you got it from.