Need some help jump starting my 1956 Olds 88!

Guest Olds88_1956

Guest Olds88_1956

I've been working on an off, on my 1956 Olds 88 restoration project since 1995, now it has ground to a halt.

Between getting married, moving out into the country, a number of medical problems, lack of money and helping my MIL and everyone's else projects...I haven't worked on my Olds going on 4 years now.

i keep telling myself, it's a project for my retirement years and it's inside, not deteriorating.

I'm not ready to run a FS ad yet, I just need a tad of help getting my merry Olds back on the docket.

Thanks,

Discourged Olds88

I've been working on an off, on my 1956 Olds 88 restoration project since 1995, now it has ground to a halt.

Between getting married, moving out into the country, a number of medical problems, lack of money and helping my MIL and everyone's else projects...I haven't worked on my Olds going on 4 years now.

i keep telling myself, it's a project for my retirement years and it's inside, not deteriorating.

I'm not ready to run a FS ad yet, I just need a tad of help getting my merry Olds back on the docket.

Thanks,

Discourged Olds88

I can certainly sympathize.  Between far too many car projects, restoration of a 300 year old log house (that we also live in :o ), and far too much out of town travel for work, everything seems to take forever.  Compount that with ongoing maintenance of daily drivers and farm equipment (the gas tank replacement on my crewcab dually just turned into a complete fuel line replacement, and while it's up in the air, I need to replace the blown exhaust donuts and gaskets, since it's annual inspection time).

In any case, I find that doing SOMETHING every day, or as frequently as possible, both advances the project and helps maintain interest.  The "something" can be a very small effort (30 min to an hour), but it is something. I realize at some point you need to put one project down and work on something else, but slow, steady progress is better than none at all.  Good luck.

I agree that taking baby steps is a good train of action.

I'm a LIST maker, and a DOER, try listing tasks that need attention, then grouping those tasks that can be fun during an hours worth of time.

Right now I'm building a 1925 Miller race car 32" long highly detailed, and baby steps have already produced good results. I don't work with drawings, or kits, kind of like what will be required with your 56 project, so HAVE AT IT

I wish you well, posting progress pictures is also good to keep on keeping on,

Dale in Indy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Olds88_1956

Thanks, I'm thinking, I should fix the brakes system NEXT.

The plan all along was to make a REALLY NICE daily driver out of it.