Need help with brakes on 68 Plymouth fury 1

Guest 68fury1

Guest 68fury1

Hello, my 68 fury 1 seems to have brake issues and i can't figure it out. It has drum brakes on all wheels. Ill be driving along and when i hit the brake pedal nothing happens until the pedal almost reaches the floor, then the passenger rear brake locks up and it feels like the other brakes have minimal breaking power.

Any feedback to what is happening is greatly appreciated.

Edited by 68fury1 (see edit history)

Sounds like a complete brake job is in order. I would start be adjusting the shoes. Then bleed. If that does not work, start looking at leaks or the master cylinder.

Guest 68fury1

Yes pumping does give it a higher pedal. Thanks alot everyone now i have a better idea of what to check haha

This sounds like a master cylinder rebuild or a new one is in your future. Especially given that repeated pumping gives you a firmer pedal.

Does this Plymouth have the type of master cylinder that is divided into front and rear? In other words you can lose the front brakes but still have rear brakes? This is a safety feature.

When it locks up in the rear does it still brake evenly? This might indicate the front master cylinder hydraulics are leaking and you only have rear brakes. You may be failing the rears as well since you have to pump the brakes to get the pedal pressure firm.

I would look at the master cylinder and if you do not know who repaired it  or when it was repaired than rebuild it or get a new one.

Chris