Sign in to follow this  
Old26Buick

Removing Ignition switch 32Buick 60

A friend of mine just bought a 32Buick Model 60 and there was no key in ignition switch. How can he remove the key switch ? Thanks

Steve

On the bottom of the switch / lock assembly on the steering column there is a small pin, maybe a touch over 1/16" diameter. You have to get that pin out and then the lock cylinder will come out. I had to drill mine out and I also removed the whole lock and steering support assembly from the car to do it.

A real PITA.

I think that the pin may be tapered, but forgot which end is the larger diameter.

The pin is blind and can only be removed by drilling.  On my car, after removing the pin, I tapped the hole and installed a set screw with a slot so it can be removed easily in the future.  The pin faces the floor so it is not seen easily.

Bob Engle

Might be easier to have a mobile locksmith come out and make a key.  You would need to get a new key blank for the Buick in advance as a locksmith will probably not carry that in the truck.  Just another option as you will eventually need to take that ignition switch to a locksmith anyway.