shadetree77

At the Drive-In

Mrs. Shadetree and I spent the night at the U.S. 23 Drive-In in Flint, Michigan last night. While it wasn't our first time at a drive-in it was our first time taking our Buick. We had a great 45 minute drive up, enjoyed a double feature, and a wonderful night time drive home. One thing I didn't consider though, BUG SPRAY IS A MUST!! We got eaten alive by skeeters! Wouldn't you know it though? The concession stand GLADLY sold us a can of OFF! for the low, low price of $7.00. Lesson learned. Still had a great time though.

post-117339-0-59038300-1436341162_thumb.

post-117339-0-16590700-1436341172_thumb.

post-117339-0-01954200-1436341181_thumb.

post-117339-0-35429100-1436341193_thumb.

post-117339-0-23285800-1436341205_thumb.

• Like 5

Drive-ins were fun back in the day. I think there's only one left here in NJ, but it's more then two hours away from here. There's one close by in Warwick, NY, only about 15 minutes away. I've been up here for 30 years and I've never been to the place, although my kids and many of my friends go there. Maybe it's time for me to take the Skylark, my wife and a can of Off.

Glad you had a great time!!!  Nice pics, too!

We have at least 2 in the Chicagoland area, and Route 66 has a few.

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"Goin' back to find ... a simpler place in time" __ Gladys Knight and the Pips __ 'Midnight Train To Georgia'

Linda and I went to one about 8 years ago, in our former Riviera.  I really enjoyed it.  Windows up, AC on, reclining lounge chair bucket seats, and the movie played through the factory radio on a low power FM band, just useable inside the lot.  I did question the use of fuel just sitting there, but at least there weren't any bugs inside the car.  I'd get kicked out if I tried this in the GS considering the noisy mufflers, but the Queen.....maybe.....

Many many years ago in California, we put lawn chairs in the back of my El Camino to watch the drive-in movies while parked outside the theatre. 

I even rigged an old searchlight reflector with a microphone & amplifier to catch the reflected sound from the outdoor screen. 

We didn't have any biting bugs, but my sound system picked up the crickets much better than the movie sound.

No matter; we really didn't go there for the movies anyway.....

Our local Chapter of Louisiana Region AACA did a weekend in Hattiesburg, Mississippi several years ago. The big attraction was the Drive-In Movie Theater. Sound was broadcast via FM Radio.

It was a very different experience since those from down here showed up with LAWN CHAIRS and COOLERS filled with ADULT BEVERAGES IN POP-TOP CANS. When we went to the Drive-In back in New Jersey back in the 1950s and 1960s,

we stayed in our cars and fogged up the windows.

PS:  That weekend the prize for the most fogged windows went to our triple-black 1970 Cadillac convertible.

yes, the good old days 50s, 60s at the drive in in N.J. east brunswick, no. brunswick, sayreville, somerville. ah

• Like 1

Or the Drive In Theaters on US-22 in NJ... up around Union

also not far from my old stomping grounds - the BIG-TOP CAR-HOP  --    there was more drag racing on US-22 on Fridays and Saturday nights than in all of the formal drag strips all across the Northeast corridor, or so it seemed. There was even the time that a large group formed a "HUMAN CHAIN" across one side of US-22 so that a couple of cars could get a fair start. Of course the local law enforcement got into the act after that evening's antics!

I'm in New Orleans now, but we still have family up in Highland Park, outside of New Brunswick, and the Linden HS reunions are always a good time, no matter where they are held. 

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

The US 23 Drive-In that Robert and Jennifer visited this week is and has been part of the "Back to the Bricks" event in Flint for several years,. and it's free!! This year the movie is "Smokey and the Bandit" on August 11th and earlier that day is an open house the the GM Flint Assembly Plant where our favorite GMC and Chevy trucks have been built for almost 60 years, some Chevy cars were built there too before 1970. And there's alot more in store during the rest of the week so check it out, btw Buick is the presenting sponsor for this event and will have the Avenir Concept car and the 2016 Cascada convertible on display as well as more surprises to be announced soon! 

Roberta,

I should be there to watch Smokey and the Bandit. My Dad will be in from Georgia and that's his favorite movie of all time so we are there with bug spray in hand! Also, I don't know who this "Jennifer" chick is but don't tell my wife Jessica about her. LOL. :P

• Like 1

Roberta,

I should be there to watch Smokey and the Bandit. My Dad will be in from Georgia and that's his favorite movie of all time so we are there with bug spray in hand! Also, I don't know who this "Jennifer" chick is but don't tell my wife Jessica about her. LOL. :P

Oops, I got the first two letters right! BTW we BttB has a sponsor that sprays for the mosquitos!  sorry Jessica, I still have a nametage for her for Buicktown, too!

Or the Drive In Theaters on US-22 in NJ... up around Union

also not far from my old stomping grounds - the BIG-TOP CAR-HOP  --    there was more drag racing on US-22 on Fridays and Saturday nights than in all of the formal drag strips all across the Northeast corridor, or so it seemed. There was even the time that a large group formed a "HUMAN CHAIN" across one side of US-22 so that a couple of cars could get a fair start. Of course the local law enforcement got into the act after that evening's antics!

I'm in New Orleans now, but we still have family up in Highland Park, outside of New Brunswick, and the Linden HS reunions are always a good time, no matter where they are held. 

In the early 60s i remember hearing about the activities in union, but we had are fun in north brunswick.

Those are some great pics! We used to go to the drive in as kids in the early 70's. The drive in was also a regular date night when my wife and I lived in San Diego, good times. My town recently opened a new drive in, and the day I bought my '55 I drove it straight to the drive in for a date night with my wife and daughter. The car got a lot of attention, and while I didn't get any pics we had a guy stop us from leaving to take a few.