Value of a 1933 Lincoln

Does anyone know the value of a 1933 Lincoln Phaton? (I think that's how it's spelled). I know there are only 7 left in the world.<P>Thanks

Guest Chuck Conrad

One of the biggest determining factors in the price of an antique or Classic vehicle is condition. Most people think their car is a lot better than it really is. <P>You'll find most appraisers use a six point guide to determine condition. Since I don't have a copy in front of me, I'll try to paraphrase:<P>#1 = As new. Often, this means "over restored." These cars show absolutely no sign of wear and tear, and are prospective candidates for car shows like Pebble Beach. Wherever you see one, they probably arrived in an enclosed trailer.<P>#2 = The way you'd find one in your dealers showroom that has been used as the "demonstrator." A very high standard car, basically factory fresh.<P>#3 = The equivilent of having a relatively "new" car, showing very slight wear and tear, but not abused whatsoever.<P>#4 = A drivable car. Roughly equivilent to what most of us drive on a daily basis. When they get a little farther down hill, but before they become #5's, most of us trade them in.<P>#5 = A drivable car. It moves and stops under its own power but it needs almost everything to be restored.<P>#6 = A car requiring total restoration, or for parts only.<P>You should grade your Lincoln on this scale. It is hard to be honest, but you should be your own worst critic. If you aren't, I assure you any potential purchaser will. It is better for someone considering purchasing your car to be "pleasantly surprised" by how nice it is, rather than being disappointed whan the car turns out to be "not as represented."<P>After you figure out the condition, you can then look in the Old Cars Price Guide to get a "Ball Park" figure. For Full Clasics, these listings are generally on the low side. The Price Guide figures are based on previous sales. If they have no record of a similar car selling in the last 10 years, then the price shown is 10 years old. Act accordingly.<P>If this need for a price quote is precipitated by a divorce, estate, or any other legal entanglement, I suggest you enlist the help of a professional appraiser. You can locate one through ads in Hemmings and Old Cars Weekly.