Generator Whining...

Aaron65

My '53 is in a bad mood lately...The fuel pump is gushing oil (no big surprise there), I'm in the midst of fixing the rear quarter window mechanism, and now the generator is whining.  I pulled the fan belt and didn't hear the noise, and my stethoscope seems to indicate that it's the generator.  

The brushes seem to have about a quarter inch or so of material left.  If I had to guess, I'd say the noise is coming from the rear of the case.  It's more pronounced at certain RPMs; for example, it's almost quiet at idle.

First, am I missing something obvious, or is the assumption that the rear bushing is going bad a decent one?  If I tear it apart to replace the bushing, front bearing, and brushes, is there anything else I should be looking for (or do)?  

Surprisingly, I've never rebuilt a generator, so although I've heard it's not too hard, I'd like to avoid any surprises once I get in there. 

Oh yeah, it's charging fine according to the ammeter.  Thanks!

If it's a whine it's most likely the front ball bearing. It might also be high mica in the commutator. If you only have 1/4 inch of brushes left it is most definitely time for a re-brush, turning the commutator would also be a good idea, might as well replace the bearings along with a good cleaning and visual inspection including the brush springs. If you've done all that might as well pretty it up with a nice coat of paint..........Bob

I dripped a few drops of oil into the cups last night, and I'll drip a couple of more today before running it again.

I ordered the bearing, bushing, and brushes for $19 shipped from eBay, so I'll have the parts if I need them.  Thanks!  Nobody in town does generators anymore.  Even the local electric motor shop doesn't mess with them.