I own a 1990 TC with about 17,500 miles.  Until today, I have had no major problems or concerns.  This morning I drove to town and made 2-3 stops without incident.  The last stop was for about 25 minutes.  As I turned the key, the engine was "sputtering" and seemed about to die.  I pulled to the side and revved the engine while in neutral.  Upon arriving home, I turned off the engine and had the same experience when trying to restart.  Any suggestions on what might be the problem?  I reside in a small town with limited service available, so guidance would be helpful.  Thanks very much.

Mark

I own a 1990 TC with about 17,500 miles.  Until today, I have had no major problems or concerns.  This morning I drove to town and made 2-3 stops without incident.  The last stop was for about 25 minutes.  As I turned the key, the engine was "sputtering" and seemed about to die.  I pulled to the side and revved the engine while in neutral.  Upon arriving home, I turned off the engine and had the same experience when trying to restart.  Any suggestions on what might be the problem?  I reside in a small town with limited service available, so guidance would be helpful.  Thanks very much.

Mark

With 17K on the car I have to ask, how old is the gas in the tank?

Not knowing if you have old gas, a turbo 4, or V6,  I suggest cleaning the throttle body, putting some injector cleaner in the tank and driving it enough to run through a couple tanks of gas.

If that doesn't take care of your sputter, let us know which motor you have, read your engine codes and give us a little bit more info. To check your codes don't start the motor, turn your key to on , off, on, off, on; watch the lights blink and count the times they blink. Codes come in 2 number sets so you will have blink pause blink and if you do have a fault code, you will have more than one set of blinks. 

Thank you for your suggestions.  It is a V6.  I leave the car in Colorado over the winter, adding fuel stabilizer to a full tank of gas and then running the engine for some time.  No blinking lights were encountered using the on/off technique.  I'll add injector cleaner later today.  Will check back later.

Mark

Will I need to get a particular fuel pump or should local service stations have a usable pump?

The wonderful thing about our rare, hand built, Italian made autos, is the affordability and availability of parts. Not the special parts that only fit our cars, or our ABS brakes that were used in the top of the line luxury and sports cars of the day, but the parts that keep them on the road. Underneath the hand built body and hand sewn leather seats, it's all Chrysler and a good portion of those parts came from multiple suppliers. Our fuel pump is such a common part that your local service station might actually have a couple on the shelf. If you should need one, be careful what you pay, a Bosch fuel pump can be had for $20, put a Lincoln part number on the box and it's now $100, give it a Jaguar part number, put it in a green box with a gold cat embossed on the side and it becomes a $400 part. Maserati parts are pricy and hard to find, Chrysler parts are everywhere.

Before replacing a fuel pump, check the fuel pressure regulator. Don't forget to clean your throttle body, even if it's not your problem, it should still be done at least once every decade or two.

Since you have to drop the gas tank--this is a GREAT time to replace your gas tank filler neck gromet. Almost all tanks I have dropped the gasket has been dry rotted and leaking for some time

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Gas-Tank-Filler-Neck-Grommet-Seal-for-Chrysler-Dodge-Plymouth-/370929879258?hash=item565d24c8da&vxp=mtr

This gasket is a DORMAN Part # 577500, and I bought two of these when I got my car a couple years ago. First one I paid about $6 and got it from rockauto.com, of course that's the one I lost inside the tank when my string came loose while moving the filler tube. Second one I picked up at the closest parts store, paid over $25 because  I didn't want to wait a week to get the car off the jack stands.

Edited by Digger914 (see edit history)