1938 Chevrolet Phaeton, Holden bodied

Hi all

I'm selling my 1938 Chevrolet Holden bodied (Australia) Phaeton, 4 door Convertable.

This is a truly rare car with only 4 known to exist in the world. General Motors Holden continued the production of the "tourer" or Phaeton well after GM USA stopped production in 1934. The 1938 was the last year of production with some 200 odd being produced.

This car shares the same mechanicals with their US conterparts though the bodies were totally Australian produced. It is very rough but complete and comes with additional Holden panels to assist with the restoration.

If you want a Chevy that is "truly unique" this is one that will not come about every day! Asking $US6,000 ono.

Many more photos upon request.

Will assist with crated delivery to Sydney and to whatever port is required.

Thanks Russell

post-77041-0-43491900-1435550576_thumb.j

post-77041-0-68539200-1435550559_thumb.j

post-77041-0-27176100-1435550666_thumb.j

post-77041-0-44488900-1435550698_thumb.j

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
On 6/29/2015 at 12:06 AM, R Holden said:

...the bodies were totally Australian produced...

Interesting that the Australian bodies don't have the molded-in line in the lower part of the front door like US cars - just MHO but that line makes the styling look "busy".

GM-H (GM-Holden) generally continued the US lines after the buy in by General Motors post the great depression. However there were a few exceptions, generally due to supplier or equipment. In 1937 local suppliers could not produce the US style hood (bonnet in Australia) despite several attempts, so the unique Australian "Sun Ray" style hood was adopted. 

GM-H did not have the pressing for the "slash" running from under the hood into the front door in the US '37 & 38 models so these were also not produced on the 1937 & 38 model in Australia and they look much more like the 1937 lines.

GM in the USA dis-continued the Phaeton (Tourer) line in 1934, however GM-H continued the "Tourer" as it was called in Australia through 1935, 36, 37 & 38. Production numbers steadily dropped with numbers falling from the high 500's in 1935 to just over 200 and in 1938, the Tourer line was dropped for the 1939 production year.

GM-H also produced another unique body style not produced in the US known as the "Sloper Coupe" from 1935 through 1940. Whilst it is general regarded as uniquely Australian, it most likely had it's origins in the 1933 Cadillac Aero Dynamic coupe line.

Whilst I read every where that this car is "rare" because of the 5000 produced this is the only one with this colour combo and or motor trans combo", this Tourer is truly rare because it is one of 4 survivors of just over 200 produced.

We purchased the '38 quite a few years ago to prevent it being Hot Rodded - unbelievably it is in better condition than when we first purchased our 1937 tourer over 25 years ago, (which is a fantastic touring car - we restored to drive) however this '38 Tourer would be a unique car in any collection and certainly turn many an eye on the AACA show field!

1938 Chev Service cover_20191208.jpg

1938 Chev Sloper Coupe_20191208.jpg

• Like 3

I confess ignorance as to the Australian "Sun Ray" style hood - how does it differ from US?

I always liked the looks of the 37, and more so 38, Chev...well, except for the door slash.  Australia had some cool body styles like the sloper and the ute - too bad there weren't US versions.

Anyway, your 37 is sweet!  Good luck on the 38 sale.  I'd be tempted but my project days are behind me - best I can do anymore is kick the tires, errr...tyres.  ;)

• Like 1

The "Sun Ray" hood is very different from the US version with no vertical flutes, instead 5 horizontal louvers which are said to remind onlookers of the morning sun rising over the horizon??

The hooked section above the sun rays is swagged and on the Master (ie US Mater Deluxe model) this has a chrome molding that went over the swag commonly referred to as the "walking stick" which the standard model did not have.

Hopefully this photo give a better idea of the difference.

As an aside GM-H management wanted to have the hood the same as the US version, however production was put back several time after exterior suppliers could not produce a hood that management would accept as good enough, finally someone said I can do this and showed them the Sun Ray version, management asked when "how many can you produce", they replied, "you can have 200 on Monday as as many as you like after that", so production of the all new turret top 1937 Chev swung into action.

37 Sun Ray hood.jpg

• 1 month later...

Outstanding detail and knowledge in this thread.  I have seen both a sloper and a holden bodied 37 phaeton here in the states but was not aware of the specific information you provided.  Thank you for sharing that.  I have always wanted a Holden bodied sloper after seeing one in Oregon...years ago.

• 1 month later...

Russell, 

How would you like to buy a 1933 Chevrolet Tourer, body by Holden?  It is for sale  and it is running like a top and looks as good today as when it was restored in July 1978 and on the cover of the G&D magazine.  I believe my car is the only one known to exist in the US.What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Bill Southern IL

33 chevy pic 017.JPG

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, pontiac 1932 said:

Russell, 

How would you like to buy a 1933 Chevrolet Tourer, body by Holden?  It is for sale  and it is running like a top and looks as good today as when it was restored in July 1978 and on the cover of the G&D magazine.  I believe my car is the only one known to exist in the US.What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Bill Southern IL

33 chevy pic 017.JPG

What are you asking?

• 4 months later...