1930 Bendix starter drive repair

Guest jimventura

Guest jimventura

I successively repaired the Bendix drive in my 1930 series 145.  I had a sheared-off bolt on the driving head.  Turns out my Bendix (parts catalog listed as model LT10XTF) is quite similar to a Model T Bendix model LT10FA.  Only the drive head differs (Franklin has a rear support that fits into a hole in rear of starter housing). Lang's Old Car Parts, http://www.modeltford.com/item/5021G.aspx, has the required parts except for the drive head.  Reasonable too, at bolt and washer set, drive key, and spring a total of $11.45.  I extracted the sheared-off bolt, installed the spring, key and bolts, and wiggled it all back into my Franklin.  So far, it is working fine.  A good article on the subject is at

http://carsofmydreams.com/technical/model-t-bendix/     

A Model T Bendix spring is not strong enough to constantly put up with the torque exerted from starting a Franklin six cylinder

and it is not the proper replacement. The proper replacement Bendix spring (as specified in our parts book and listed in Chilton's cross reference book) is the same spring used on the Model A Ford. (Bendix L-11-6X) If you put them side by side you will see the leaf is 3/8 wide on the A spring and only 5/16 wide on the T. Lang's doesn't have them because they only deal in T's but Snyder's Model A & T parts do. Snyder's spring(Franklin part #R3882) is #A-11375 @ $6.50 and the spring clips (Franklin part #R3892) are

#A11384 @ $5,25 a pair. These are not the screws or lock washers, the Model T screws and lock washers are OK and Snyder's has

those too. The Model A screws and lock washers are not the correct size because, with the exception of a few A's produced in 1928, are all designed for a 5/8" shaft. By the way the reason the A spring is cheaper than the T is because it's the same spring used from 1928 to 1953 Ford.

Bill

• Like 1

The main section of the starter Bendix is of course the part with the gear section. It is identical to the Model T except for the end nut. The end nut on a T is twice the length of the one on the Franklin and extends beyond the unit. If you carefully grind this nut (collar actually) back to where it's even with the main part of the Bendix unit you will end up with an identical replacement Bendix for a Franklin. Be sure to use plenty of water when grinding to prevent too much heat build up. Lang's and Snyder's both carry these at approx. $75.00. They come with a Model T spring----Don't Use It!. Now the end part that rides in the Franklin bell housing bushing is the only thing that's Franklin only and if you need a new one will have to be made by a machinist.

Bill

• 7 months later...