what is this radiator cap from? boyce moto meter

Guest rynb15

Guest rynb15

My neighbor collects old car parts and just picked this up. He is wanting to figure out what it came off.  It has Dewar trophy stamped on the front of it if that helps.  Any help would be great. Thanks.

post-153898-0-48237300-1435495098_thumb.

post-153898-0-38506900-1435495104_thumb.

post-153898-0-23881300-1435495108_thumb.

It can only be from a Cadillac. Cadillac won the Dewar Trophy in 1912 for the electric start and lights system. I don't think any other American cars won in that era. I think it would be a good fit on any 1912 , 13, or 1914 Cadillac. Neat item. If I still have my 1914 Caddy I would want it!

I think Cadillac also won an earlier Dewar for interchangeability of parts. They took 3 cars to England, disassembled them, scrambled the parts, and reassembled the 3 cars successfully. It was previously thought impossible.

Yes, that was in 1908.

Yes, Cadillac won the Dewar trophy twice. According to Wikipedia (not always a reliable source), the Stanley twins also won once. I do not recall ever reading that before, however, it is likely true (but maybe should be verified). Several other English marques also won over the years.

That cap likely is for a Cadillac, but difficult to pin down the year. The style of cap/wings is more in keeping with the early to mid 1920s. The style of Motometer Junior I think first came out around 1918. Earlier Motometers generally had no glass or bezels although some did. There is one pictured that appears to have glass in the Floyd Clymer Motor Scrapbook number 2 on page 137. But it is not the same style as the one on this radiator cap. The Dewar trophy was a very prestigious award that Cadillac was rightfully proud of for many decades. 

• Like 1