Brake Cylinder Help

It seems that my 32 Dodge DL has a one year only brake system and I'm trying to deal with my brake cylinders.  The front cylinders have a 1-3/8 inch non-step bore.  The rears have a 1-1/4 inch non-step bore.  I'm resigned to having the front cylinders re-sleeved as I can't find anything NOS to fit and the bores are just too pitted to hone out.  The bolt spacing on the front is also different than the rear.  I did find a new set of very nice cylinders that fit the rear bolt pattern and are the same external dimensions as the old ones.  The problem is, when I took them apart to check the bores I discovered that they are stepped bores, 1-3/8  stepped down to 1-1/4.

For all you brake experts out there, can I use the stepped bore cylinders on the rear brakes?  Does the step interfere with the original design or put too much pressure on the master cylinder?  If I can use them, it will save me about 100 bucks or more and I'd like to keep the money - but not at the expense of endangering my family on the first Sunday drive.  And one final question - if I can use them, which way does the larger bore face, front or rear?

Thanks!

The step bores will give different pressure to the rear and front brake shoes that are on the same axle.  You may not have the same stopping power. Maybe less; maybe more.  I doubt it would affect the master cylinder. As far as which wheel cylinder goes on which axle, many will be marked with an "L" or "R".  Also, check the bleeder location. Sometimes different and will not fit even thought the bolt pattern is the same.