36 Sedan Soft Top Leaking

Guest randyta

Guest randyta

Washed my 36 Sedan yeterday and noticed a couple of wet spots on the headliner.  I think it is probably leaking at the rubber seal that goes around the edge.  The car was restored 10 years ago and the top and rubber seal look great.  Thinking about lifting up the edge of the seal in the area where the water spot is and putting in some kind of sealer.  Maybe black RTV but you guys might have a better suggestion.

Thanks,

Randy

If you pull the top loose you will not get it tight again as there will be no material to pull with. I would not attempt a repair unless you are willing to replace the entire top, which is probably the best fix. I wouldn't doubt that the top and seal has shrunk and opened up some areas or that possibly the rubber seal is not correct. I'm not a fan of trying to seal them with any silicone as it's messy and leaves a residue behind. If any sealing is done, it should be with a polyurethane sealant and only under the seal where it will be hidden. I'm not sure if any sealant was used originally as the top rubber wedged in and locked under the groove in the body channel. When this kind of a top is installed the material is wider and longer than the opening. You start in the middle and work your way around by pulling on the top material to stretch it and hammering down the seal as you go. Then after installation, the excess top material is trimmed of with a razor blade. I believe that Restoration Specialties in PA has the correct top seal.

. . . When this kind of a top is installed the material is wider and longer than the opening. You start in the middle and work your way around by pulling on the top material to stretch it and hammering down the seal as you go. Then after installation, the excess top material is trimmed of with a razor blade. I believe that Restoration Specialties in PA has the correct top seal.

On Chrysler built products of that era the roof insert has the fabric installed on (wrapped around and secured to the bottom of) a frame and then the whole frame is pressed/pulled into the opening in the steel body. You pretty much need to have the headliner out to raise the frame enough to get sealant between the lip on the insert and the car body. As long as you are doing that, you might as well renew the top cloth as well.

This link has a description on how the Dodge trucks of that era were done, the passenger cars were very similar the difference being using chicken wire and batting instead of a hard board. And some years used a rubber seal while others used a pliable sealant. http://www.ply33.com/Repair/roof

Edited by ply33 (see edit history)

I need a top on my 36 as well and am still searching for the correct seal (The 36 is different from earlier Plymouths and different from the dodge as well).  Jury is still out on restoration specialties, he hasn't gotten back to me yet.  But it is not listed on his site.  If you find a good source or just find something that works, please let us know (with a part # preferably).  As you can tell, parts can be a challenge to source for these cars.

Restoration Specialties has a rubber top seal for '35-'36 Chrysler cars. It's part number 4797T and is for the fabric tops. A pictured cross-section can be seen on their website. The metal topped cars used a very different type of seal.

Restoration Specialties has a rubber top seal for '35-'36 Chrysler cars. It's part number 4797T and is for the fabric tops. A pictured cross-section can be seen on their website. The metal topped cars used a very different type of seal.

Do you have a link?  I tried looking that part # up and cant find it

• 2 months later...

I use to make roof seal for 36 dodge Plymouth only with the steel insert tops, one pcs. I may have one left somewhere will check if not I know I have a sample, sold many of them and they worked great, not original looking but never had any complaints on leaks or looks,,,,