Great Race 2015A

buick5563

Once again I will be posting some info from the Great Race as part of the #99 1931 Buick Shaeffer 8 race team. Driven by Pat Brothers. Navigated by Pat Brothers. :D

I will bring everybody up to speed if they haven't already been following some of my shenanigans.

My son Woody and I have already been out for about ten days, leaving Austin in my 55 Century wagon. We hit the Buick Nationals in Springfield and then headed north to St. Louis. We had hoped to hit a few baseball games, but after one Cardinals game, we had to cancel heading to Chicago due to flooding. We met up with the Great Race crew in Kirkwood, Mo. the beginning city. The race goes down the length of Route 66 and ends in Santa Monica next Saturday.

Woody and I will be driving the support truck with my wagon in the trailer. We will bring it out every night so that we can get pics along Route 66 and so we will have easy transportation every night. We are already over 1,000 miles in the Buick and will be driving home from Cali to Texas at the end just to maintain "non trailer-queen" status ;) .

In addition to the Buick Racecar, there is a 63 Wildcat, and a 56 Century convertible that I have seen so far. I took a pic of my wagon next to the Cat just to remind everybody why I am 5563...

More pics and stories will be coming.

post-77619-0-63133900-1434831435_thumb.j

post-77619-0-03094800-1434831461_thumb.j

post-77619-0-58644300-1434831501_thumb.j

Edited by buick5563 (see edit history)
  • Like 4

As an aside to the ultimate "Take your kid to a car show / road trip" :

Here is something I bet none of you ever really thought about. Kids grow up in air conditioned cars with windows that only roll part of the way down. A modern kid has never learned aerodynamics by sticking their hand out the window. Woody kept looking around as if we were doing something illegal. When he discovered this joy, he laughed so hard he almost cried. I was highly amused, myself.

By the end of the day, he was acting like a puppy.

(Somebody please rotate this, I can't do it on my phone)

post-77619-0-00147000-1434832012_thumb.j

• Like 3

VERY cool, Mike!  Would've loved to join this....  Will be following along this week. ;)

BTW, it's amusing to me that the organizers bill this Great Race as traveling all of Route 66 when most (all?) of IL is skipped. :(

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"I'll follow any road" __ Emerson Drive __ 'Fall Into Me'

The 31 racer is doing well. We have had a lot of electrical gremlins. The low beams had a short, and yesterday on the hottest day, the electric fan blew a fuse. I also had to tighten the water pump packing (that's a new one).

We are in Amarillo , Texas tonight. Santa Fe, NM tomorrow.

The Pats are doing well despite a missed turn today. I didn't see the final standings, but I think they are about 26th out of the original 117 (plus or minus).

There are 8 Japanese teams this year. One driver a famous TV personality (honestly, I wouldn't know a famous American TV personality). Another is a famous Japanese race car driver who just finished driving at Le Mans. While not my cup of tea, car-wise, they are very friendly folks.

I have Woody helping wherever he can. There is good natured ribbing about laziness, both mine and his. I know he is having a ball. I really hope this kickstarts a greater interest in older American cars.

• Like 1

The 31 racer is doing well. We have had a lot of electrical gremlins. The low beams had a short, and yesterday on the hottest day, the electric fan blew a fuse. I also had to tighten the water pump packing (that's a new one).

We are in Amarillo , Texas tonight. Santa Fe, NM tomorrow.

The Pats are doing well despite a missed turn today. I didn't see the final standings, but I think they are about 26th out of the original 117 (plus or minus).

There are 8 Japanese teams this year. One driver a famous TV personality (honestly, I wouldn't know a famous American TV personality). Another is a famous Japanese race car driver who just finished driving at Le Mans. While not my cup of tea, car-wise, they are very friendly folks.

I have Woody helping wherever he can. There is good natured ribbing about laziness, both mine and his. I know he is having a ball. I really hope this kickstarts a greater interest in older American cars.

I was going to attach a pic, but this is the third pic of him that turns sideways on its own. Only his pics...humph

Amid all of the "fun" going on, I know there's some rear WORK also happening. Not just "a cruise down Route 66" for pure enjoyment. Kind of nice when "work" takes you all over this great country with a bunch of old car people.

Enjoy and keep us posted!

NTX5467

Mike. I was hoping that you would be posting something that we can follow. Kathy and I stopped at the Merrimac caverns when we left Springfield on Sunday. COOL PLACE. Really. 58 degrees year round. Route 66 is a GREAT piece of history that people were forgetting about for a while. It has been getting a lot of attention lately. Me, my wife, AND the 55 Super have been up and down Rt. 66 in Illinois for the past couple of years. Lots of cool stuff still left. Too bad we didnt get a chance to meet up in Chicago after the Springfield meet. It was pretty wet here. 5" of rain in half an hour is a lot. I am very jealous of you and Woody. Keep us posted and GOOD LUCK.

Tony M

• Like 1

Enjoying your updates, Mike!  :)

"It winds from Chicago to LA"...
Maybe the song wasn't right. :)

LOL!!!  Maybe not.... ;)

Route 66 is a GREAT piece of history that people were forgetting about for a while. It has been getting a lot of attention lately. Me, my wife, AND the 55 Super have been up and down Rt. 66 in Illinois for the past couple of years. Lots of cool stuff still left

Indeed!  Seems many people have the idea that only certain parts of Route 66 are "left" since the expressways show only certain areas-stops along the way.  BUT, a huge portion of the original route is still available to drive along.  Had a blast doing so when I did the trip in 2009.

"Did the trail of yellow brick come to an end?" __ Debby Boone __ 'Are You On The Road To Lovin' Me Again?'

On our way to the finish line today, we saw an accident with one of the racers. I immediately turned around in rush hour traffic to assist. A Chrysler rear ended this 32 Ford roadster into another Support vehicle. I redirected traffic until the cops showed up and Woody gave the guys water.

The Pats are still doing well. Low 20's overall.

I have noticed on my car the difference altitude and heat make. It's bloody brutal in 100 degree heat at 7,000 feet.

Tomorrow in Lake Havasu, it is supposed to hit 117.

Pics of the wreck:

Once again sideways GD pics. Somebody please fix this. They are fine when I push choose, but when I attach they mess up...

post-77619-0-56982000-1435295631_thumb.j

post-77619-0-36889700-1435295666_thumb.j

• Like 1

Yep. 116 degrees on several bank thermometers today. Really hot. My wagon was chugging, knocking and smelling like burnt poop, and I was only driving it around the city. He-Pat almost fainted today at a gas stop. He wasn't the only one. I talked to a few racers who were really affected by the heat.

I'm drinking a beer now. That's all.

• Like 1

I'm drinking a beer now. That's all.

LOL ... sounds like a great way to end the day. ;)

That heat sounds a bit too much....  I prefer heat, but ... not quite THAT hot.

As for that accident ... good grief.  How did the Chrysler not see the car in front?  Or, was it a case of "distracted" driving?

"Suspicions lead to questions" __ Ronnie Milsap __ 'Stranger In My House'

I don't know. I imagine the Chrysler (third car in line) decided that he could make it through a yellow light, and the truck didn't agree. The Ford was just caught in the middle.

We are in San Bernardino today. There are supposed to be 10,000 cars here today in conjunction with the finish. The Race officially ends tomorrow fifty miles from here on the Santa Monica pier.

My phone is hating posting pics, so I apologize for the lack of action shots. It is also full, so I am trying to free up some storage space on the phone.

I'll post more later tonight.

I don't know. I imagine the Chrysler (third car in line) decided that he could make it through a yellow light, and the truck didn't agree. The Ford was just caught in the middle.

SMH ... such a shame.

Cool that you are in San Bernardino!  You able to see the Wigwam there?

"Are we having fun yet?" __ Nickelback __ 'This Is How You Remind Me'

It's all over!

Almost 1,900 miles. The winner was a 1918 Hudson Pikes Peak hillclimber. They had a score of 58 seconds. Pat and Pat finished in 28th overall with 3minutes 44seconds. That still sounds outstanding to me. The Great Race peeps claim that over 100 cars showed up yesterday, but I believe only 89 of the original 108 cars finished. My numbers may be slightly off. Go check out greatrace.com for more info.

Unfortunately, my phone is about full storage-wise so I didn't take as many pics as I should have. Of course, I was busy too...so there's that. I discovered this earlier today when I wanted to get a pic of Corky and Woody at the Coker factory tour this morning. I'll figure this out. Or just buy a new phone...

I am chillin' in a swanky LA hotel right now and Woody and I are going to hit Universal Studios tomorrow and Wednesday. Do a little more sightseeing and the see some of the sights we blasted by. We will stop at the Meteor Crater, Petrified Forest and a few oddball Route 66 things we missed. Overall we drove through seven states, four of which Woody had never been to. His state count is getting pretty high, now.

• Like 6

Mike and Woody. GREAT JOB. You guys were part of a pretty special road race. ON ROUTE 66.!!!! HOLY COW. Hope you guys at least got a picture of you and your car at the pier in Santa Monica. Enjoy L.A. and the parts of Rt. 66 on your way home, that you flew by on your way there. Hopefully , you'll be able to ease up on the gas pedal a little bit. Keep us posted on your way. Good luck. Tony M.

• Like 1

We were scheduled to leave yesterday morning at 5:30, but Woody and I were both raring to go at 4. We zoomed up to Griffith Observatory so we could see the Hollywood sign (albeit at night), then got out of LA before rush hour. We stopped at Meteor Crater and drove through the Painted Desert and after 15 hours on the road; made it to Gallup, NM. It is 5:18 local time (I'm worn out from yesterday...forgive. my late wake up :) ). Heading down Route 66 until Amarillo then making a beeline for home. 13 hours drive plus stopping might get us home tonight. TRWs gotta roll!!!

Pics later from Woodster's phone.

• Like 5