Done for the summer

alini

Its 100 degrees at 11AM already, supposed to top out at 114 today.  My garage is already 90, its not insulated and Im not going to pump air from the house in and waste the money and energy.  So far this is the latest I have been able to work, the previous years I stopped in May.  Im really close, but its just not enjoyable in the garage to work and the whole point of the project was to have fun.....So I am officially on hold until the temps come down (probably late Sept)  I'll be stock piling the remaining parts I need.  The downside of living in the entertainment capital of the world.....Summer hear

Guest onedesertdog

I totally understand what your saying. We hit 115 wed. and Thurs. It was a balmy 100 at 11:00 pm last night. Cooling down to 113 today.

I was going to drive the 65 up to my cabin in the mountains for the summer, but I think I waited too long.

The different "seasons" in different parts of the U.S. are entertaining ... lol.

I don't know ... I think I'd rather deal with the heat in the summer than the cold, ice, sleet & salt in the winter.....

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"Yes, it's been quite a summer" __ Jimmy Buffett __ 'Come Monday'

Did some research and I can DIY insulation in the garage walls for under $250, with the car in the garage!!!  So this week I will be doing the prep work then on the weekend we will blow in the insulation into the walls and patch the holes.  Then get a portable AC unit for the garage so I can keep pressing.  Slight delay, should have done it years ago, but it was easier to just stop working.  Im too close, I gotta keep going.

• Like 1

I've looked at them a little but the problem I have is the mounting of the external unit. Living out west we have an an HOA and because the box would be visible and need to be mounted away from the wall I have to jump thru hoops to get it approved. Trying to find a system that I can mount the unit quite a distance away so I can hide it behind my wall

I can confirm you can insulate a post construction wall using the Owens Corning AttiCat system.  With that being said, what a flippin pain in the ass.  I did mine insertion from the inside, not the outside because of the stucco finish of the house.  I felt it was better to cut drywall and patch that.  My walls had no horizontal cripples, there is metal straps going diagonally across the studs, so I simply had to drill one 3 inch holes between each stud to insert the hose to blow in the insulation.

Watching their videos they tell you to predrill all the holes to expedite the process and then stuff some standard insulation in the holes adjacent to where you are working, so any material that blows by the studs into the next cavity stay in the wall.  I used some old rags I had.  Upon pressurizing the system and starting to inject the fiberglass the drywall flexed out and pulled some of the nails holding it to the studs.  I tried drilling extra drywall screws in to secure the drywall and it didnt help those pulled through instantly.  This only happened in on area when we first started, but we noticed nails loosened in various places.  As we were going the rags blew out of the holes and some loose fiberglass blew into the garage, so we found if we wrapped the 3 inch plugs, we were going to pop back into the holes after we were done, in the rag they stayed alot better.  The whole process to inject 33 linear feet of wall took just under 2.5 hours.  Took a bit to set up and had to run to get another bag of insulation, so it took me 4 total.

So far the room is quieter, as is parts of the house since the garage is no longer amplifying noise.  The exterior walls got down to 95 yesterday with a swamp cooler and fan blowing.  THe day previous the walls were 105.  I have ordered a portable AC unit that is rated for alot more than the square footage of the garage, so I should be able to maintain a comfortable 85-90 in the garage to get through the summer.

• 3 weeks later...

Thx for the email Chris.

I love this thread. I am totally fixing up my 'man cave' (garage) right now & the info here is gonna help. My house AC ducting needed attention & in the process I was planning on adding a vent or two that I could open/close in the garage.

Thx for the details Chris