Isotta Fraschini

I am trying to locate chassis 1540, motor 1608, Castagna bodied Isotta.<BR>I have the original bill of sale from Isotta of New York.<BR>Please contact me if you know of the cars existance.<BR>Thanks<BR>Bill Eads<BR>1-910-392-4122

• 7 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That would likely be the roadster cabriolet listed in Angelo Tito Anselmi's book appendix as serial#1540, but engine# 1605. in the late 70's it was owned by a collector in Detroit. If you send me a Private Message I will give you the name.

Anselmi's book gives an understanding of the culture of the people who made Isotta Fraschini cars what they were. Isottas have sometimes been unreasonably criticised by otherwise knowledgeable writers who like to make inappropriate comparisons.

Ivan Saxton

Does anyone know what happened to the Isotta Touring belonging to Bob Rook (spelling?)from NJ. Did a bit of work on it sometime in the '80s but haven't seen it since. Light blue with dark blue trim as I remember. We built a set of touring top irons for the car as well as irons for the "cape" top. Was the restoration ever completed? Haven't seen it in any AACA or CCCA events or publications since.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Restorer32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know what happened to the Isotta Touring belonging to Bob Rook (spelling?)from NJ. Did a bit of work on it sometime in the '80s but haven't seen it since. Light blue with dark blue trim as I remember. We built a set of touring top irons for the car as well as irons for the "cape" top. Was the restoration ever completed? Haven't seen it in any AACA or CCCA events or publications since. </div></div>

Was it a Lebaron body with rear mounted spares?

• 2 months later...
Guest JR Cars

Bob's car was sold to a collector in Mass. I saw it on display at one of the last Concours held at the New Hampshire speedway. I believe that he had changed the color scheme slightly since acquiring it.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I am new to the forum and own an Isotta-Fraschini website: Isotta Fraschini. I am interested in Isottas and parts for 8 A and 8 A SS models, as I am restoring one.

As to Bob Rooke's Isotta, I am in touch with Bob as I have bought some Isotta parts from him. His car was auctioned recently. I will try to find a link with photos.

If you know of any Isotta-Fraschini cars for sale or parts, derelics or interesting stories, feel free to contact me: isottacars@gmail.com. I am in São Paulo, Brazil, phone number +55 11 9984-5016

All the best,

Malcolm

Malcom,

Sorry I cant get the auction page to come up on this site but if you google up Bonhams.com and search for: Sale 19040 - Collectors' Motor Cars, Motorcycles and Automobilia

Byron Kennedy Hall, Moore Park, Sydney, 13 Nov 2010 at 10:30

you can get a full listing of the results.

David

1923 Metallurgique torpedo

1931 Rolls Royce Phantom 11 Continental

1940 Ford Deluxe Coupe

1947 Mercury Coupe

Guest Silverghost

Malcolm:

For some reason I cannot open your website beyond your great main page ?

I am on 56K dial-up connection.

Do you have a link into your site past the main page ?

I would like to view the contents of your website !

I think your opening page sequence is driving my old and out of date connection crazy !

It's true these are truly fantastic and underrated cars here in the USA.

R. Valentino owned many great towncars over the years.

He also owned a great Rolls~Royce Silver Ghost which has been in a long-time museum colletion !

Do you have any old period Isotta Fraschini photos to post here on this site !

We always appreciate great old or current photos !

Thank You !

Guest Silverghost

Believe it or not our US Navy has been installing Isotta~Fraschini gen-sets on it's new warships for about twenty years now !

Very high quality packages ~

Just like their grand old Classic autos !

Hi Malcolm,

We have a 1927 Isotta-Fraschini Tipo 8AS for sale on our website right now. It has a custom boattail touring body by Carrozzeria Italiana Cesare Sala. Yes, it is every bit as spectacular as it appears in photos.

27if3.jpg

27if31.jpg

27if26.jpg

In pictures, you can't really tell how truly MASSIVE the car is, but it sits on a 146-inch wheelbase. Although the sleek design is pretty good at concealing the proportions, it's probably six feet tall, and is a 7-passenger body. The top folds into a compartment in the rear and disappears completely when folded, giving it a very nautical look (it was clearly inspired by a boat, given the boat-type air intakes on the cowl and the fender design which is supposed to look like waves). The top bows are made from a rare and unique wood called Purpleheart, which actually turns purple when exposed to air.

Having spent some time with this car, I have a new appreciation for these wonderful Italian machines.

Guest Silverghost

Matt & Others:

I have seen & inspected this grand Classic Isotta~Fraschini at the Blackhawk Collection & Museum some time back and it is indeed Impressive & Breathtaking !

Matt:

Due to it's original purple color sceme would this car have been owned by Royalty ?

Purple was usually a color that was reserved only for Kings & Queens !

What was it's original owner history ? I never heard it's true history...

It is a Stunning Auto !

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

• 6 months later...

Hopefully it is OK to reopen an old thread since there is not a devoted thread for Isotta Fraschini. I am looking for historical seller information.

The Isotta Fraschini would have been sold in 1957 Kingston, New York. The Isotta Fraschini was from the late twenties or 1930 believed to be an open car, with split windshield, custom body, likely a convertible sedan.

The Isotta Fraschini sellers name was Eugene (sp?). I am not sure what his last name was. Eugene was also selling a 1920s Packard 8 Runabout that was painted entirely in battleship gray. He was a diver that worked in Brooklyn and lived in Kingston. Likely salvage and repair. Eugene utilized the Isotta Fraschini and the Packard to commute to and from work.

Please PM me directly if you have any more information about the seller. Any leads are appreciated.

Edited by vintageride
readability (see edit history)

• 2 years later...
Guest Geoff2

I am trying to find the whereabouts of a 1929 Castagna bodied 8A Isotta Fraschini which was sold by auction in U K about2007. If you Google GU 6061, that is the car. According to the Licensing Authorities it was exported soon after .I would like to locate it as I have some "history" and some parts for it. Chassis No 1349 Engine No 1390. It could be anywhere in the world so I am tryin USA first. E mail -- geoff.fielding@btinternet.com Regards Geoff