Early T head Wisconsin 4 Cylinder 5-3/4" x 7" information Wanted

alsfarms

I have just picked up an unknown make early firetruck project.  Chain drive, right hand steering, German Silver rad., and etc.  It is not Alf and not Seagrave,  I wonder about Robinson or Webb.  Does anyone know who used Wisconsin engines?  The engine is a Model "M" .  Any information would surely be appreciated.  The project is currently in a basket and has been so for about 15 years.  I will also go over to the Firetruck guys, but thought we have an overlap of interest here also.

Al

PS:  Pictures just do not do much good as it is all apart.  I can get specific shots if requested

Lots of people used Wisconsin water cooled engines, but not many ordinary over the road trucks used the old original "M"...too big...

First, you'll want to contact Terry Harper, who's rebuiding (literally) a Wisc "P", which just might --repeat, MIGHT--be the 6 cyl version of your engine...

Interestingly, a 1917 ring catalog, set up by ring size, listing under each size what used that size, has a small 53/4 bore using 1/4" rings section---listing the Wisc M and P, Ahrens-Fox, Boyd, J J Schneer and Seagrave Fire Apparatus models...

Parts catalogs, of course, are never complete; a lot of truck companies get into fire vehicles...started a list once but don't know where it is, if I still have it...

Terry posts on smokstak (Multi-Cyl Power Units forum, I think) under tharper, and on practicalmachinist.com under terry harper.

If you can't get thru to him via those forums let me know...

OOPS----when looking for parts/advice/sympathy do not confuse your "M" 4cyl with a later series of  6 cyl Ms=M1. M2. M3. M4  with 6"stroke and smaller bores...

Do you perhaps have serial number information on the M Wisconsin?  Hmmmmm, I thought all Seagrave used their own engine so I ruled out that out as a possible make.  The radiator does have a look of a Seagrave with a bit more arc over the top.

Sorry, can't help on ser #s

Not many of my old parts catalogs even list Seagrave, but some that do list they also used  Cont'ls, Hercs, a Reo and even a Ford V8...

That  original M also shows up in a 1924-33  Yuba (Yuba Ball??) 25-40 tractor, probably rarer than your fire truck..

I seem to recall Terry mentioning his "P" was primarily used as a marine engine; if so, you might consider sites like oldmarinewengine.com for help..;.l

On locating a running Wisc "M"...

The only water-cooled Wisc info I have is two pages from a 1948 Thompson "manual" (pamphlet) listing engines up to 6cyl 63/8x7=1340...it no longer listed the original M

As yours is at the low end of this larger range, I'd post around to sites likely to include eqpmt and engines for irrigation, oilfield/municipal pumping, ditching, dredging and such, not to find an actual operating engine but to reach people likely to've noticed one in a museum or display vehicle...like:

HCEA--I don't understand why their forum gets so little traffic, but it's free...

stripmine if it's still going...

all Cat sites you can find

any US site that includes larger stationaries; there's also a good UK stationary engine site, and the Euros are famous for keeping old engines going after they've been largely forgotten on this side...

Hello Bud,  I am chasing your suggestion.  Unfortunately, many forums simply are not very active.  I do like using forums but not everyone is willing or able to use the forum form of interaction.  I also have a couple of feelers out across the pond to see what may be hidden from view over there.

Al

• 4 weeks later...
Just a note for those who may be interested in custom pistons needed for one of our antique engines.  I checked EGGE, Carillo, Keith Black and Ross as possible piston suppliers.  I found that Keith Black, a subsidiary of United Machine, does not at this time build custom pistons.  They are trying to get set up to do so in the near future, it may be worth a check back.  They have their shop in Douglas Ariz.  Next, EGGE does do pistons, we all knew that, but they are more money and 5 week turnaround.  Carillo can also do the king sized pistons but are about the same money are EGGE.  Lastly, I checked with Ross Piston.  They were the least money and shortest turn around time.  This is my learning at this point in time.  I need to have the Wisconsin Jugs cleaned up to determine exactly what sized piston to have made.  More later on this subject.

Al