1929/30 Kissel White Eagle 8-95 classic status

Hello..I have a 1929 Kissel 8-95 and am wondering why the car doesn't appear on the "approved classics"list.Wheelbases were substantial enough,125&132'',engines were similar Lycoming-based units as in the Auburn 8-90{on the classic list}but with special Kissel-only improvements,the bodies totally hand-crafted and beautifully constructed with hand-done special touches{German silver dash,walnut trim&steering wheel,inlays,leather&broadcloth,etc.}The lines of the many body styles were unique and beautiful,stylish and ahead or their time.The frames and bodies unusually low slung for the period,and the prices well in keeping with LaSalle,smaller Packards,Franklin,etc.{and far above an Auburn 8-90!}They were built in very low numbers and were absolute quality machines in every way..and..why do ALL 1925-1926 Kissels enjoy that classic status when they were priced the same or lower,were on sometimes smaller wheelbases and 6 cylinder,but the 8-95 doesn't somehow make the grade?Could it be that no one has yet applied who owns one?Or maybe an oversight?Or..and I wouldn't doubt..that nobody on the classification commitee has seen one up close?{There aren't many left,maybe less than a dozen '29/'30's}<BR> I am an enthusiastic new CCCA member and probably one of the younger set{40}.Would love for this rare car to be included.I have a '31 Franklin too and the Kissel is every bit or more the quality machine as the Franklin.Thanks,Jerry Garvin

Jerry,<P>You make good arguments on why your 1929 8-95 Kissel should be a classic. To get the Classification Committee to look at the 8-95 as a series, contact headquarters in chicago and ask for a form for approval of a series for classic status. You can get the Club email address by clicking on the "Contact Us"<BR>area on the left side of the CCCA home page.

As Joe points out, you make a convincing argument for your Kissel. I'd be the first to admit that I have no idea why or why not your car does or doesn't qualify for Full Classic status, but it is possible it has simply been overlooked, or nobody has ever applied. Sometimes simple answers are the right ones!<P>To find complete instructions for applying for Full Classic status, consult the front pafes of your "Handbook & Members Roster." <P>By the way, welcome to CCCA!<P>Chuck Conrad<BR>National Director

• 2 weeks later...

I am new to the CCCA and wonder how this sort of thing happens. How is it that a car which seemingly deserves to be on the list has been overlooked? And so, has it been considered before? If so, why was it denied?<P>Does the CCCA give specific justifications for each car that IS on the list? To be sure, many do not need any; their right to inclusion is obvious. But for borderline cars that have been accepted, does there exist in the CCCA archives the reasons why they should make the list? And are there such justifcations in the archives for cars that have been denied?<P>Does the CCCA have a list of borderline cars that have been denied?<P>While I have several other cars, I find Hupmobiles interesting. I'll probably never own one, but have wondered why the 1930-32 Model U is not on the list. These were the equal of certain cars on the list in terms of original price, weight, engine size, horsepower, and wheelbase. These would include certain Auburns, Studebakers, Nashes, and Reos. It seems odd to me that no one has ever applied for the 1930-32 Hupmobile Model U.

• 2 weeks later...

>>How is it that a car which seemingly deserves to be on the list has been overlooked? And so, has it been considered before? If so, why was it denied?>><P>The car may or may not have been reviewed. CCCA has a "Classifications Committee" which meets at least eight times a year to iron out these things. It is possible a car was never submitted as a potential Full Classic . Sometimes it's simply a case of "you don't ask, you don't get." Maybe no one has ever submitted an application. Then again, it may have been considered and rejected for one reason or another. Although I do not know personally, minutes of each Classifications Committee meeting are meticulously kept, so there are answers. <P>I'm just the Club's humble Web Master, and not aware of the specific details of each car that is either approved or rejected. If you would like to email me privately, I will happy to put you in touch with the Chairman of the Classification Committee, who can give you much more information.<P>If you will look in the front of your Members Handbook and Directory, you will find an outline of the proceedure to apply for Full Classic or Modified Classic recognition for cars that are not on the list.<P><P>------------------<BR>Chuck Conrad<BR>CCCA Webmaster & National Director