Chrysler Model 72 & 75 Brakes Interchange

Dpsmith

Are the Model 75 brakes (internally expanding) a direct swap onto to the Model 72 (externally contracting)? If not can the Model 72 brakes be made to work anywhere near as well? What brake linings would work best if the Model 72 brakes are retained and rebuilt?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello dpsmith, I too am struggling with a model 72 brakes.  A tractor company "restored" this car for the owner at that time.  I think they damaged and destroyed more than they restored, one of which was the brakes.  While they had them sleeved, which is okay, they got rid of the original interior piston stops and the grooves they mount into.  The original master cylinder was replaced with a newer one that really was not a good fit.  I am still looking for 4 of the notched copper seals for the banjo nuts.  They used an air chisel to remove the rear axle retainer bolts and in the process egg shaped the housing since they did not have a hub puller.  They broke the block that holds the axles apart and it went THROUGH the gears without breaking them and out the rear cover- amazing.  I could go on and on but you get the picture.  This is a very pretty Fisher Bodied golf club coupe with 54,000 miles on it.  My wife and I had new hickory wheels made for it and she sanded, painted, and varnished them.  It was her suggestion that we get this car since it was "already done".  We have made 3 local tours with this thing in 4 years, I can now understand why some nice looking old cars get modified with new running gear.  Getting back to the thread, I actually have learned a lot about these brakes and they will work well in dry conditions.  If you need some help with them send me a PM.  

Are the Model 75 brakes (internally expanding) a direct swap onto to the Model 72 (externally contracting)? If not can the Model 72 brakes be made to work anywhere near as well? What brake linings would work best if the Model 72 brakes are retained and rebuilt?

I do not believe that the brakes from those two models will interchange.

I owned a 1928 Chrysler several years ago and I remember the brakes. The problem with the original master cylinder was the piston cup. It fastened to the piston by way of a "brass"button . In addition, I remember the bore being an odd size. I suspect the cups are unavailable now.

I found the brakes to be a constant source of maintance. All of my spare parts went with the car when I sold it. I have walked in your shoes and can empathize with you. Zeke

I'm going to say that the brakes should interchange.

The front axle off a 72 is the same as a 75 so you should be able to exchange outboard of the king pin without too much drama.

The diff appears to be the same as well. At least it has the same external dimensions, so worst case just swap over the complete diff from a 75.

I'm going to say that the brakes should interchange.

The front axle off a 72 is the same as a 75 so you should be able to exchange outboard of the king pin without too much drama.

The diff appears to be the same as well. At least it has the same external dimensions, so worst case just swap over the complete diff from a 75.

How can internally expanding brakes interchange with externally contracting brakes?

• 2 weeks later...