Points question

buick5563

I came out this morning and noticed that my key was in the on position. Battery dead. Got a jump and the car started right up. There is a minor burning smell inside the cabin now. If I had burnt the points, would the car have started and run well?

The wagon has a fancy pants alternator in the genny case, so it wouldn't be an overheating voltage regulator.

Thanks y'all

If it runs, don't worry about it.  If the points were open when the key was left on, then no problem; it the points were completely closed, then the coil will get hot and the ballast resistor will get real hot ---- the ballast resistor probably heated the firewall and that is where the odor is from.  Points that are barely closed will arc like a welder and burn...you can sometimes demonstrate by rotating the distributor with the ignition on.  If you can, charge the battery with a battery charger.  Alternators don't like to charge dead batteries.

Willie

• Like 1

I did that a few years ago. Mine were fused shut.

I came out Friday night at the Nationals to find my ignition on as well. Luckily, no ill effects that time. :)

Hmm. That's weird. I know both of our cars were unlocked. I would like to think that it was just a coincidence, but I have had people mess with things before.

It's not going to affect how much I have loved my trip so far. Let's not travel down the path of what D's people can be...

• Like 1

Big enough, a size 30 cube,  I reckon...

I think there was some fiddlin' with the cars on Friday night, because the cause of my dead battery Saturday was that the radio was left on...which I didn't use on the trip. Found that out Saturday evening after the show, it was just turned on, volume completely low... Hmmm..

I guess "somebody" might have been investigating the difference in "GEN" lights among the different model years?

On many of the really "modern" alternators, you really need to charge the battery before starting the vehicle after discharged battery. Why? When the alternator "sees" a dead battery, it goes to "full charge" immediately, which can cook the regulator quickly. I've known of some Ford alternators which failed for that reason, with GM strongly recommending not using the alternator to be a "battery charger" rather than as a "charge maintainer". But these newer alternators have at least the output of the earlier vehicles' charging system.

If a "headlight ON" buzzer an be easily added, what about tapping into the "GEN" light circuit?

Or perhaps a contact to the ignition cylinder as the later models did for the "Key in ignition" buzzer?

NTX5467