IPC "went blank"

Buick City

On my '90" ,that is my daily driver,the gauge cluster went blank . it came on and off several times! I drove it the next day,and it never came back on!everything  is off,execpt where the MPH is supposed to be in the little box ,there is 00   and where the mileage is supposed to be , it says ERROR ,In the lower left corner a message in a yellow box says ELECT PROBLEM ! I have a 89 and a FSM ,but couldn't find any info that matched.I also stopped at a autozone,but they only had a analyzer for 96 & up.   The only clue I have is that the tach took a dive before the dash went dark.  Today I started it ,and it came on and went off again as soon as the tach went to zero! The car runs great,and everything else works fine!  I am thinking it has something to do with the tach!    Does the tach wires go to the coil pack or the crank sensor ? ANY  IDEAS ?  THANKS !

Corvanti is correcct in how to access on board diagnostics. That said, you cannot get into service mode if the cluster is out as it is required to display diagnostics information. The 91 cluster will swap right in (it is identical) and the mileage will be correct as it is not stored in the cluster.

KDirk

Edited by KDirk (see edit history)

Thanks very much! I didn't know you could get that much information out of the 91 & 90 !I have another 90 that I am going to put the 91 engine in,so ill use the IPC out of the 91 !               THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP ! :D

A word of caution on the 91 to 90 engine swap. While the physical fitment of the engine is not an issue the PCM (ECM) is different as the 1991 transmission is electronic control unlike the 90. So, you either need to swap the entire powertrain and its related components, modules and harness as a complete unit for ease of installation or you will have many mods and some ECM PROM tuning that will need to be done. Also, the 91 exhaust is 2.5" where the 90 is 2.25" so the complete exhaust would need to be swapped over or you will have further problems there as well. Just wanted to make sure you were aware of this.

KDirk

KDirk       D-A -N-I-E-L         told me one time that all I needed to change was the knock sensor wireing   .He said the 90 ECM would work also I didn't know about the exh. I wouldn't mind changing the whole (engine & trans) ,as I know the trans.is electronic,but I don't know about how big a job switching the wireing would be?        The 91 IPC worked great! Am on the road again.

You could use the 91's engine with the 90 trans but there are still some differences in the tuning and things like the EGR differ 90 to 91. And the exhaust is still an issue due to the size difference. I am of the opinion the best swap is a complete swap instead of a mix and match. Sure, it can be done piecemeal but that just complicates matters.

KDirk