Weld Exhaust Pipes?

WillBilly53

Quick (dumb) question. I have a brand new Waldron's Exhaust on my '53 that I installed early last year. Everything is lined up and it fits perfectly, but I'm wondering if I'm supposed to have the pipes to welded and to the muffler or is it okay that they are snuggly fit with the "cold" connection. 

p.s. I'm NOT referring to welding the pipe to the exhausts manifolds

In my younger years, I always liked exhaust systems I could work on with the car on jackstands in the driveway. That means QUALITY clamps and nuts and pre-bent pipes from known good sources.

A muffler shop desiring to weld things together is similar to front end alignment operatives liking vehiles with alignment shims rather than eccentric washer/bolts. Plus, back then or in later times, I doubt there was a welder in that section of the assembly line, which meant "clamps".

With things arranged to your liking, you could get a shop to put two "tack welds" on the clamped pipes, for good measure. Not too hard to grind off should you want to do your own muffler work at home.

From experience, I'm not a big fan of "custom bent" pipes from muffler shops. Not to say that some good work can be had, but the few that we had done always seemed to have a few areas where clearance was not what it should have been. Ended up replacing them with Walker OEM-spec replacement pipes and mufflers. Seeking out known good pipe benders at muffler shops is necessary for some cases, though, which can be better than taking pot luck with the closest place.

NTX5467

• Like 1

Before welding just make sure none of the pipe system is touching any part of the frame.  It's made with clamps so that it can be adjusted where it goes through the frame to provide the clearance.  Once I had a system installed and properly adjusted,  the difference in noise level inside the vehicle was astounding!