After seeing a few of the new members with the "homework help" spam link being reported, I started looking around the members list a bit. I found that when I searched for new members with less than one post since June 1st, I got about 60 new members. A good number of those are still validating, indicating that they are having trouble registering. Either their validation email is stuck in their spam filter, or else they failed to click the validation link for some unknown reason.

I found that there were a lot of obvious spammers still getting though. I have now banned 9 of the "homework help" spammers. I also banned a few others with different but related spam signature links, including one that helps students in Malaysia study for the SAT to help them get into college in the US.

I also found a new member with the name of :

NickJamesBitch!

Do we really need a member with such a name? I have left him alone for now but I am thinking that as soon as he makes his first post, it is likely to be reported for the name alone.

I really think that we need to try to figure out a way to keep an eye on newly registered users a little bit better because the spammers are still getting though in higher numbers that I think we would like. Those with spam links in their signature appear to be a ticking time bomb. You never know when they are going to start posting spam messages to get those spam links seen.

On a related note, I would still appreciate some guidance on how to find a member's email address. That is one way to easily research new members who seem suspect when it is unclear if they are spammers or not.

Matt,

Bottom line is... short of setting it up so we must "approving" every single registration, spammers will get through. Is it really that big an issue now?

Email:  The forum software only allows "Administrators" to see private info, i.e. email addresses.  Moderators can see a users information accept email.  Is it important enough that you feel you need to be an Administrator instead of a Moderator? 

It would be nice to see email addresses, but I don't have to be able to do so. It would make it easier to preemptively identify some spammers but I guess we can ban them after their first reported spam. I just need to know how to ban them since you turned off the warning points display. I now can't see how to ban a user without that system. It would be nice to stop all of the complaining about the warning points display but not if it inhibits our ability to ban spammers.

"Matt,

Bottom line is... short of setting it up so we must "approving" every single registration, spammers will get through. Is it really that big an issue now?

Email:  The forum software only allows "Administrators" to see private info, i.e. email addresses.  Moderators can see a users information accept email.  Is it important enough that you feel you need to be an Administrator instead of a Moderator?" 

Peter, I suggest making Matt an Administrator at this time. He's the only one that has the time and interest in correcting some of the "new forum" issues. I have been intensely busy and will not be able to handle any of this work right now. 

Wayne

• 2 weeks later...