Johnboy650

American orphan car list suggestions

Isn't that a Jeep ?

Pullman, Hanover, Sphinx, Hart Kraft, Atlas, Bell, Kline, all built in York, PA.

Tucker

Fitch

Allard

Muntz (love the reference Earl "madman"Muntz...)

Meyers Manx

Oh no Laydon, please don't suggest he go down the what's a classic, or classic vs. Full Classic path here. Either you get it or you don't and it's been rehashed a thousand times!! :-)

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Steve,

You are right. The definition of what was "American" was unsurmountable, "classic" would be beyond comprehension.

• Like 1

I've seen lists that were into the thousands. The Standard Catalog of American cars 1805-1942 starts with Abbot-Akin and ends 1582 pages later with the ZIP car. Nearly all the manufacturers/makes in there with the exception of a few like Ford, Chrysler, etc. are no longer being produced.

My copy of The Gasoline Age (copyright 1937) has a list of more than 1,500 makes which were produced in the US at various times in the past. That list starts with the A.B.C. Motor Vehicle Company of St. Louis and ends, like the Standard Catalog, with the ZIP produced in Davenport, Iowa.

You can't do better than this and this way the post won't go On for several years. Can you please tell us what the list will be used for ?

Wayne

Tucker

Fitch

Allard

Muntz (love the reference Earl "madman"Muntz...)

Meyers Manx

Oh no Laydon, please don't suggest he go down the what's a classic, or classic vs. Full Classic path here. Either you get it or you don't and it's been rehashed a thousand times!! :-)

Prior to 1776, we were a British colony but Sydney Allard build his cars in Jolly Olde a bit later than that

Edited by CarlLaFong (see edit history)

John I stand corrected. Neat cars and always assumed US made, maybe due to powe plants used...

I suppose your avatar is laughing at me this morning.

Thank you for everyone's contribution. I am building a classic orphan car forum and want to include a list of orphan car clubs.

I will use your suggestions to build a list of clubs for these makes. I will post a link to the site when it's up and ready in July! :D

Always willing to admit when I'm wrong. There was a Triumph made in the US: The Triumph Motor Company of Chicago, IL, 1906-1909, It was called "The Triumph".

Here are a few obscure, Pre-War (some pre-WWI) makers, which we may overlook, from A to Z:

Adams

Barbarino

Californian

Darling

Economy

Famous

Galloway

Hackett

Ideal

Jackson

Kline Kar

Lexington

Meteor

Norwalk

Ottokar (Ottocar)

Parry

Queen

Rapid

Success

Traveler

Union (by several companies)

Veracity

Waco (Seattle, WA not Texas)

Xenia (as in Ohio)

York (as in PA)

Zip

Moon.

Zimmer. (snicker...) I knew someone who worked for them and they are a car company not a customizer according to him. Hmmm...

If it weren't for the Zip the Zimmer would be the last on the list. That also brings to mind a lot of kit Orphans; Clenet, Shay, Glassic, Excalibur, Gazelle 

1985-zimmer-golden-spirit-002.jpg

Edited by Dave Mellor NJ (see edit history)

Sure would be easier and a much shorter list to show the cars not eligible!

Why not just buy a copy of The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1805-1942, VOL 1 from Old Cars Weekly and get 3 or 4 Post-It-Notes to bookmark the companies that are still in business. If you feel that corporate sub-categories like Lincoln, Buick and Dodge are really separate companies; and that Oldsmobile, Plymouth, Hummer, AMC, Mercury, Edsel, etc. still exist but are just folded into the the corporate stewpot, then go ahead and get 10 or 20 more Post-It-Notes. 

Then the scoreboard will read:

Companies Still In Business: .........25 (a very charitable, and wild, guess)

Orphans: ..................................5,450 (consult Kimes, Clark, The Standard Catalog, for the exact number)

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
  • Like 1