Huge box of pre-war car parts, worth the effort of picking up?

Guest oldfartride

Guest oldfartride

I saw a local ad for a box of car parts in the UK. The parts are all pre-war and apparently stored since that time.

Now I don't have much experience with that era, but am i right in thinking that any box of parts from that time should be worth picking up?

Problem is the want me to take all or nothing, three large boxes, something like 3 cubic meter in total. They don't seem to know anything apart from some scribbles marked on the outside.

Tempted to have them picked up.

Do you feel lucky? No way of knowing what's inside, boxes are huge, and you only have some vague description of what it might be. What's the price? If it's close to free, sure, maybe go for it. But asking us for advice on the mystery boxes is kind of pointless, don't you think? It could be full of Rolls-Royce grille shells or it could be full of used brake shoes from a Hillman Imp. If you have little experience with pre-war cars, will you be able to correctly identify the parts, assess their value and condition, and market them to buyers? Do you have the space to store a pile of parts indefinitely? Do you know a scrap guy who will take them if they turn out to be worthless? Can you afford to have your "investment" in the parts turn out to be worth $0?

This seems like telling Monte Hall you'll take what's behind door #2. I have no advice for that situation and there is no advice to be offered beyond figuring out whether you can afford for the boxes to be worthless and take up a huge amount of space while you figure out what to do with them.

Guest oldfartride

tempting right. But if stored from those days they should be in good quality. Could good quality parts from those days NOT be worth the effort, you wouldnt strip a simple car and save it is my guess.

Doubt, but i dont want to wait too long. What would a cubic meter of parts weigh, dont even know that

Edited by oldfartride (see edit history)

Guest AlCapone

Timing is everything. If you snooze you lose. Every minute you delay gives someone else an opportunity. If it is local to you and you can pick it up yourself, what do you have to lose ? Wayne

Guest oldfartride
I talked to them and they want it gone as it is. 

The will specified it couldn't be sold. Posh Scottish family, near Edinburgh, the older lady that put up the ad doesn't want to be seen breaking that promise and be rummaging around in it so can't tell me more than that is is general parts. Boxes are in the family home and the rest of the family is watching is the feeling I got. She had no clue of cars, and no interest in it at all.

Thing is I wouldn't even trust some local garage to pick it up for me. Rent-a-van I am afraid. The scribbling on the boxes are what peeked my interest, but someone else could decipher them as well.

I may have to get on a plane brrrrr, never got stuff like this. Could a single valuable part make up for the effort, or doesn't it work like that? What parts to look for in general, does that differ per car? 

Edited by oldfartride (see edit history)

Guest Gary Hearn

You are going to jump on a plane to go find out the contents of 3 mystery boxes? What makes this endeavor so alluring?

Guest AlCapone

You started out stating it was a local ad!! Now you are talking a flight ! I believe the post is a scam !

Wayne

I talked to them and they want it gone as it is. 

The will specified it couldn't be sold. Posh Scottish family, near Edinburgh, the older lady that put up the ad doesn't want to be seen breaking that promise and be rummaging around in it so can't tell me more than that is is general parts. Boxes are in the family home and the rest of the family is watching is the feeling I got. She had no clue of cars, and no interest in it at all.

I'm with Wayne on this one!  The dubious circumstances as described above, even if true, seem to be on the borderline of legality.  I would say a scam for sure.  I could be wrong, but I would not touch this deal.

Cheers,

Grog

As I read this post it occurred to me that there are a lot of blokes from the UK that are willing to buy these parts sight unseen and will accidentally send you a check for way more than the asking price. All you have to do is cash it and send the difference back to them through a Western Union Moneygram or the British equivalent.

Guest AlCapone

To clarify my scam statement, I think we are being scammed, not the poster. The poster ( oldfartride ) started out saying it was a local ad he had read and then changed to had to get a flight. I hope the moderators will have a close look at this post! Thanks, Wayne

Guest Flyer1

How is it known that the boxes contain "car parts"? , have they had the lid off and checked it out to confirm that before placing the add ?

Sounds a little "suspect" to sell "car parts" in boxes with a bit of scribble on the boxes without even knowing what is in them..... any reputable seller would check it out a bit (research) before just selling 'the lot" .......sniff sniff..same old "family estate woes" ?

Guest Flyer1

Not familiar with "craigslist' , but one thing most people take for granted ( at least in some places on the planet) is...1. pictures and or description  of contents for sale...2. location of products for sale and  3. being able to view and/or question seller of products for more detail ( if needs be) of products for sale ?

Could be just me? but the number of "emails' received by people asking for an up front payment for "estate  release" with no known legitimate proof  or otherwise sounds a bit sus...i know i would't go and check something out without checking it out first through various means (people) to find out if it is legiit.

just my thoughts...take care....   :)

Edited by Flyer1 (see edit history)

I assumed the original poster was in the UK, so Scotland would be local, compared to the US.

I think this is the ad;

http://edinburgh.craigslist.co.uk/pts/5065346347.html

It'd be nice if the boxes were filled with SS100 parts, or 770 Mercedes parts. I'm not sure what a S20/90 is.

Edited by Craig Gillingham (see edit history)

Having seen the actual ad, it makes a bit more sense to me.

It seems that what the seller meant by "... it can't be sold ... " is that the will stipulated that the boxes be given away rather than having to remain within the family.  With that said, I'd be surprised if the boxes of "mystery parts" have not already been picked up.  Scam?  Maybe not.

Cheers,

Grog

A family dispute in Scotland? That's as rare as an argument between an Irish father and son.

One of the favorite stories my Mother told was of her Father and Brother repairing the barn roof and her seven Sisters standing in the driveway praying that one didn't get thrown off. O'Briens, all.

I bought a gas pump from a guy. It was lying in a hedgerow. I gave him $50 and he died that night at the Rod & Gun Club. Three years later his step son came over and said the coast was clear. The value had gone to $1,000 by the heirs. We got it from the same hedgerow.

When in doubt, get out.

Bernie

Guest oldfartride

well i guess i will be having a look :) 

Flying from Amsterdam, just the last bit is difficult, bloody remote.

keep you posted

I would so be there if I even lived on that side of the pond ...

anything pre war ( IMO ) has some value ... esp. seeing headlight(s) and gear box in the ad

its something that doesn't come up often or even rarely seen =0/

a lot of that stuff/ item(s) has been junked or scraped some decade(s) ago, unfortunately =0(

We've all been waiting anxiously.   Looking at the ad and location I'd be very surprised in someone locally didn't swoop down and catch this stuff.  Even when I lived in Scotland many years ago there was tremendous interest in antique (vintage) cars.  Pre-war stuff is getting hard to scrounge up and just like here, there are ebay and swap meet vendors always looking for a fresh box of goodies.  Don't forget that one of the biggest/best swap meets outside of Hershey is right there in Southern England (Beaulieu).  So - surpise us and post some pics of your treasure.

We'd love to share your excitement.

Terry