1990 Reassemble Light Switch Diagram Please?

S.V.S.

Came out of movie to find lights on very dim. Pushed light switch and they would NOT turn off, tried to open trunk to get jumper cables and it  would NOT open. Pushed light switch again and it disassemble itself into a pile of parts on the floor. A good passerby jumped started with his cables and I then drove around the parking lot to charge my battery without lights. The left light closed when the switch disassemble itself, my right light dose not close due to bad activator. Being 40 miles from home I had to sleep in the car in the movie parking lot till dawn light.                   I now have the switch on my dinning table for reassembly , all the parts look good NOT broken I tried very to ensure that I got them all but need an inventory list and reassembly diagram.  Any Help Please. S.V.S.

Title of the OP states it is a 1990. I don't know that anyone here has ever documented the proper disassembly and reassembly of the switch. I've had 1991 switches (similar to 90) apart before and successfully put them back together - which isn't easy - but haven't taken pictures of the process. So, I'm afraid I can't be of much immediate assistance. I think Jim Finn has serviced these switches (I know he does 88/89 versions) perhaps he will see this and chime in. My big concern is if the switch fell apart in the dash all over the floor, did any parts fall back into the instrument cluster cavity and is the switch enclosure intact? For everything to pop out like that the switch enclosure almost had to be breached by breakage of some sort.

Also, while the headlamps can be raised manually actually turning on the headlights requires thebswitch to be functional. I suppose a BCM output override could be used to force the lights on but I think that just cycles them on and off continuously.

KDirk

Edited by KDirk (see edit history)

Thank You for responses; I have the switch all most back together but I have 4 flat pieces remaining.  Two about 1/2 inch long by 1/8 inch wide look like maybe contacts that have another piece sliding on them and two 1 1/2 inches long with three bends that are springs.?    Any help Please.     S.V.S.

More Progress! Found the place for the two 1/2 inch contact pieces ,how were dose the two flat springs go? Know that and I will be ready to put the button cover on and cut the rubber bands. You are doing great ,keep up the good work. Just a little more help ,Please      S.V.S.

Are the contacts you are referring to shiny silver metal pieces that have "wings" angled upward at the ends? If so, these slide in vertically along side a plastic piece at the right side of the switch as you are facing it (looking at the front with no buttons installed). I think there were two, but that is going on the 1991 switch which is slightly different. Keep in mind that all the parts except the buttons go in place on the switch body. Place the buttons in the front enclosure then carefully slide the back and front halves together until they "lock" with the tangs arranged around the edge. Also be very careful with the slider for the panel lights dimmer when doing this. If it does slide cleanly through the slot in the faceplate it will break off from interference.

KDirk

Guest PontiacDude210

I successfully reassembled mine once. Almost. It worked. But the buttons wouldn't stay depressed. You may need to contact Jim Finn if yours does not work reassembled.