your best memory in the 1960 to 1985

The Music was '60's Rock and Roll along with some "oldies" of that time:  Rock-a-Billy, Doo-Wop, etc. 

The big change was during the Gas Storage which started in the Fall of 1973, in my opinion anyway.

Music and Cars both changed for the worse after that, again in my opinion. 

Jobs were hard to find too...

Contrary to what many people believe to be true, and what people hear on oldies radio/ satellite radio TODAY, the music of the 50's and 60's (unlike the segregated music of today) was VERY diverse. Jazz tunes, Country music, Motown music Surf music, and contemporary music all had hit tunes on top ten, forty, and especially top 100 tunes of the year. Do not believe me? Just Google the top 100 tunes for any one of the years between 1950 and 1970. This also explains why when my parents and I traveled in our car that their generation of music and my generation of music was played on the same station. For example; in 1966 Frank Sinatra had a # 1 hit called Strangers in the Night which was played right along side The Beetles Paperback Rider and also country tunes like B.J. Thomas and the old Hank Williams song " I'm So Lonesome I could Cry. Also Included was Latin music from Herb Alpert bringing in groups from Brazil like Sergio Mendes and Brazil 66. Who can forget one of the best Latin songwriters of Bossa Nova, Antonio Carlos Jobim who wrote in 1964 The Girl From Ipanema with Astrud Gilberto singing and Stan Getz on sax. That my friends is what radio was like in the 50's-60's in the Los Angeles area.

A word about surf music. My dad started surfing in 1927, I started surfing first by body surfing in 1956 ( age 5 ) and board surfing in 1958. We surfed depending on the swell in the early days from Malibu to San Onofre and anywhere in-between. In those days of the 50's surf music consisted of music from the session musicians of the big band era. Les Baxter and his exotic music was favorites. .Songs like Tropicando, Acapulco, Voodo Dreams ( look them up on You tube to sample. Henry Mancini made super surf music on his double albums called Peter Gunn and more of Peter Gunn as well as songs like Andre Previn's "Like Young" or Dave Brubeck's " Take Five" or Martin Denny's version of Les Baxter's Quiet village. In other words Exotic and Jazz ( mainly West Coast Jazz ) was what we were listening to at parties and on the beach, and this WAS the original type of music most surfers listened to. Also I must say there was some live Hawaiian ukuele music played at parties and the beach.

I can remember at Malibu after the Gidget movie came out we started seeing some " want to be's" starting to show up, but it wasn't until the Beach Boys, Jan and Dean, Sufaris, Ventures, Dick Dale etc. that our paradise was finished by hordes of flat landers trying to get in on the action. It forced us to go farther and farther for un-crowded waves and beaches. What I'm trying to say is the image they shaped was just a image, and because it was a false image most surfers of the 30's, 40's and 50's hated the music and what came along with it like the crowds, disrespect, fowl language and pollution.             

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

I remember the summer of 1964 and the lyrics to "The Girl from Ipanema ". I had a mad crush on a girl but, the lyrics held true, and when asked how she felt about me, said that she "hates my guts ". I had always dreamt about the two of us cruising around together, in a new Galaxie convertible, like the one I currently own. Many years later, I saw her at a local big box store. Let's just say that I'm glad I got the car and not the girl!

• Like 1