sebastienbuick

your best memory in the 1960 to 1985

hello, I'm French and I board not known the joy in america is the years.
What was your best memory? Car by car or pub ...
thank you

Car wise, riding in a circuit downtown on Friday and Saturday nights back in the late '60's and early 70's with a bunch of other hotrods.  Pretty much like American Graffiti.  We would ride around for hours.  Besides all the great cars, we also had great music pouring out of the radio back then. 

Welcome to the site by the way.

Bill

Running a 63 FI split window in SCCA B/P.

I was there for the 60s, so I don't remember them. I have been told it was far out ;)

one of my best memories is running with a bunch of vintage Ferraris Porsches Jaguars Mercedes across the carefree highway above Phoenix (all from the 50s 60s and 70s.)

I was there for the 60s, so I don't remember them. I have been told it was far out ;)

That's me as well.

hello and thank you for your answers.
it was a bit like in starky and hutch? or gone in 60 second? (I love the view and the life of this is the year :)).
What what was like music?
the america te it change much since 1980?

What what was like music?

the america te it change much since 1980?

The Music was '60's Rock and Roll along with some "oldies" of that time:  Rock-a-Billy, Doo-Wop, etc. 

The big change was during the Gas Storage which started in the Fall of 1973, in my opinion anyway.

Music and Cars both changed for the worse after that, again in my opinion. 

Jobs were hard to find too...

Edited by 62BillT (see edit history)
  • Like 1

You must remember... Starsky and Hutch and gone in 60 seconds is fiction. and music... elvis and the Beach boys until 1964 and then the British invasion starting with the Rolling Stones and the Beatles. (I grew up in the Los Angeles area back in the 50s and 60s.)

Edited by mrspeedyt (see edit history)

Unfortunately the 50's and 60's will never be repeated.  It was a great time growing up.  I guess that's why we have cruise nights.  We did the same thing back then, only the cops used to throw us out of the Burger Chef's and A&W's.  Now these establishments want the business.  Not everything changes for the better.

Edited by Skyking (see edit history)
  • Like 1

When I was 3 years old and cried when Dad traded the '50 Pontiac torpedo back on a '56 Buick Special. I climbed up in the package shelf and rolled down into the back seat at the first stop because it didn't have a rear seat back higher than package shelf like the '50 Pontiac.

Edited by 61polara (see edit history)

Not everyone jumped on the Beatles bandwagon even if we did like Elvis.  Country music was also popular and at its best.  Country music had learnable and understandable lyrics; not all rock and roll did.  My outstanding car memory is 1963 when I bought my first brand new car, a Ford Galaxie 500 XL with bucket seats and a 4-speed.  My next greatest car memory is of cruising around in my '65 Cadillac, also a convertible. 

Hello, and thank you;).
I see a little better in this year's :).
it's a shame that all this has changed.
It must have been really good :).

I too missed it so you are not alone. I've heard alot of great stories from my parents and aunts/ uncles. I get to relive it though, a little, every time I fire up one of my cars and head out on an old back road.  For a moment you can almost get lost in time if everything is just right.  Especially if you are on a rural road in a 30's-40's car.

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

In the late 60's I had a "54 Ford wagon, I could not figure out why fathers would not let me take their daughters out  on a date.

In the early 70's doing the St Paul loop thing were people would show their cars off between stop lights. I fond it entertaining beating many mag wheeled jacked up Fords and Chevs  with my green / wood gained "69 Plymouth Sport Suburban wagon with a luggage rack. ( not completely stock)

• Like 1

Viet Nam, Protests, sit ins and free love.

Mmmmm, it was 1985, I was 15, and Denise Fontaine and her family moved in next door. Denise, who was just about my age, liked to sun herself in a bikini on the porch across from my bedroom. She and I dated for more than a year and I would get my learner's permit later that summer. I already owned a 1976 Cadillac Eldorado convertible that I'd been putting back together in preparation and it was roadworthy just in time. Yep, 1985 was a very good year.

What were we talking about again?

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 1

:) thank you for your answers. I would have liked to be.
Remember the buick electra circuilation of 225 implementation in 1969? you see a lot?

What about the back seat at the Drive In movies, ?? Those were the days.

When you went to the drive in with a '55 Buick,  who needed the back seat? Ask me how I know...... :P

I saw there not long ago and several episode starky hutch and I love their lifestyle they .This reminds me of the scene the games driver  2 on playstation 1  (in chicago ...): ).

can still find your place like this?

:) thank you for your answers. I would have liked to be.

Remember the buick electra circuilation of 225 implementation in 1969? you see a lot?

I can't say I have seen another '69 Buick Electra Limited since I drove the one a friend bought new in '69........  :mellow:

I can't say I have seen another '69 Buick Electra Limited since I drove the one a friend bought new in '69........  :mellow:

a friend had to buy a 1969 Electra?