Sign in to follow this  

No matter the brand you choose, pick up a series 27F battery. These cars were designed for the larger Cadillac and Lincoln 27 series battery and the F (Ford) reverses the positive and negative pole positions so the cables do not have to cross and negative post will not hit the hood brace. Not 100% factory correct, but a good safety measure.

• Like 1

No matter the brand you choose, pick up a series 27F battery. These cars were designed for the larger Cadillac and Lincoln 27 series battery and the F (Ford) reverses the positive and negative pole positions so the cables do not have to cross and negative post will not hit the hood brace. Not 100% factory correct, but a good safety measure.

X2, but I think that Steelman means that the positive post will not hit the hood brace.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Based off what I see of a 27F, if I mount it with the post to the rear the positive is on the inside and the negative toward the fender.  But the cables would need to cross.  Trying to understand your layout...I need to get a battery soon for mine and it didnt have one when I got it, so dont know what is the right way

Based off what I see of a 27F, if I mount it with the post to the rear the positive is on the inside and the negative toward the fender.  But the cables would need to cross.  Trying to understand your layout...I need to get a battery soon for mine and it didnt have one when I got it, so dont know what is the right way

That is correct.  The battery cables CROSS.  You want the positive battery post next to the radiator, not the fender.

One of the Service Bulletins that's on the CD that Jim sells shows the positive battery cable running between the hold down bolt and the battery itself.  This was to keep the positive cable from rubbing against the larger of the four note horns, if the car was so equipped.  You could do the same thing to make sure your cables won't contact each other.  Ever since my positive post touched the hood on my '63 back in the late 80's and shorted out a bunch of wiring, I've run the positive post closer to the radiator without a problem.  In one of my early factory brochures, there's a picture of the engine that shows the positive post next to the radiator.  It shows a Group 27 battery and the positive post is at the front of the battery and the positive cable is run between to of the filler caps.   The only concern you should have is not having the positive post near the fender.

Ed

Have to resurrect post. Have no issue with the F as mine has clearly been this way for some time as the cable as a memory in this configuration crossed. however you can only get a "topper" (to make under hood look like tar top battery) in a 24 series and you want the flat top which comes in some delco and Sears brands. So 24F with topper 2" less wide than 27F?

For what it is worth or if anyone cares... the original battery configuration had the posts on the forward side of the caps and the cables crossed over the top of the battery between the caps

Tom Mooney

I'm sitting on the fence regards getting a battery topper which requires a 24F battery verses installing a 27F and forgetting about the battery topper. Is the 24F adequate for my car with standard equipment: A/C, power windows, power seats, AM radio? What is the advantage of the 27F over the 24F? Cranking amps? I live in a moderate climate with winter temp no lower than 35F and that's for a few days when I won't be driving car.

I plan to put in an optima with a topper when I replace mine soon. I put optimas in all my cars and never have problems. They are bulletproof and worth the extra money and the fact they are sealed is another big plus.

I bought a 24F from SAMs club same flat top as Delco and Sears it's a Duracell Brand. It's shows 700 cca cold and 800 at warmer temps. I think this is will suffice. I will be getting the topper for it. In 63 they call for the one with yellow caps with the black. delco letters.

The terminals would have been forward of the caps in the configuration you described if you use the correct original 27 series and make the GM bulletin Change of crossing the terminals so the power was on the inside towards the radiator. This would be done By flipping the battery around. As mentioned manytime if the power post is in stock original location towards the fender there is the real possibility of the post arcing against the hood brace and possibly causing a fire.

Edited by flh73 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I bought a 24F from SAMs club same flat top as Delco and Sears it's a Duracell Brand. It's shows 700 cca cold and 800 at warmer temps. I think this is will suffice. I will be getting the topper for it. In 63 they call for the one with yellow caps with the black. delco letters.

The terminals would have been forward of the caps in the configuration you described if you use the correct original 27 series and make the GM bulletin Change of crossing the terminals so the power was on the inside towards the radiator. This would be done By flipping the battery around. As mentioned manytime if the power post is in stock original location towards the fender there is the real possibility of the post arcing against the hood brace and possibly causing a fire.

Stock original location for the battery is the positive post toward the radiator as per `65 service bulletins,

Tom

Even the early 1963 factory dealer literature shows the battery with the positive terminal next to the radiator.

post-93305-0-60003700-1456707459_thumb.j

There is a '63 factory service bulletin that shows that the positive battery cable is run between the battery and the hold down bolt.  This is to make sure that the cable would not rub against the large bell of the longer four note horn and create a short.

Ed