Strange Battery Cable Connection

Nope.  The only neg cable connections that I'm familiar with for the first generation cars are the ones where the negative cable is bolted to the rear of the power steering pump bracket.  I've also only seen "flag" terminal ends on the ends of positive cables where they bolt to the starter motor.  But, that's just what I'm familiar with.

Someone has directly wired the ground cable to both the firewall and what appears to be a second cable which I assume is attached to the engine. This not necessary (excessive cable length) and accomplishes the same goal as running the ground cable to the engine as mentioned and using an additional cable or ground strap from the firewall to the engine, as the factory did.

Tom Mooney

Thanks guys for the information. I have always thought that the ground cable was tied to the power steering pump bracket on all first gen cars, but wasn't sure if there were a few cars that had them modified at the factory for various reasons (possible options???). By the way, the gentleman that owns this car has it for sale. He only lives a couple of blocks from me in Warren, MI. It's in a pretty rough state but for the most part it's a complete survivor (still has an original set of bias ply tires). I checked the VIN and it is a true KX Riv. If anyone is interested in purchasing this car I can go see it again and get some detailed photos of it along with descriptions of what work needs to be accomplished to get it road worthy. He is asking $7500 by the way......

I have a ground strap from the engine to the firewall where your negative ground is.

Kraig

attachicon.gifground.JPG

attachicon.gifground2.JPG

My '64 had two ground straps from the engine to the firewall; one on each side of the block.  Does anyone else have two?