1958 Super - Vibration then transmission failure

chris_58

Hi Everybody,

I just made it barely back from a Sunday afternoon drive in my 58 Super.

On my way back I first noticed a vibration when applying the brakes and it sounded like I hit those grooves on the side of the lane, intended to alarm you when you're drifting off the lane. However, the vibration seemed to come from the car and not the wheels as I did not feel anything over the steering wheel. I stopped and checked the wheels, thinking that maybe a wheelbearing is going out. However, everything was/is tight there. When I continued driving, I realized the vibration everytime I let off the gas and just coasted. As soon as I accellerated again, the noise went away.

Then, on the home stretch close to my house, the transmission suddenly slipped several times, but then decided to keep going. Backing into my driveway, the reverse was barely engaging, with the trans slipping. Once I had the car safely back in the garage, I realized a tranny fluid trail up my driveway and an already large puddle under the car. Pretty much the whole undercarriage from the center of the X-frame back is covered in transmission fluid. I assume the reason for the transmission slipping is the loss of fluid.

I want to wait to have the car cooled off before I crawl underneath, but is anyone out there who can make an educated guess what happened?

For your info: I had the torque ball, the oil seal and the bearing at this joint replaced a few years ago. When I had the axle out, I also replaced the rear wheel bearings since they were leaking. The car was running fine until now, with only a few drops (oil and transmisson fluid) under the car when parked longer.

Thanks,

Chris

Clean up the fluid that was blown everywhere, and see if you can isolate the leak. That will tell you a lot. You may have to add some fluid to get it back up to the level where it was leaking. I have a used  '58 Dynaflow transmission (twin turbine, not the Flight Pitch) if needed.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

Update: Whoever had the money on the torque ball wins :( (see attached pictures).

For some reason (maybe someone can tell me what I did wrong 6 years ago when I installed a new torque ball) the rubber seal separated from the housing and worked its way out of the housing. Once it was out, of course all the transmission fluid went. I just hope that I did not damage anything inside the transmission when driving with low fluid.

Anyone knows where I can buy a better manufactured torque ball? The last one came from cars.inc but either the vulcanization wasn't done well or I installed it with too much tension. I am not sure how you are supposed to messure the applied pressure on the seal ring to avoid this from happening again.

Thanks,

Chris

post-124741-0-15452500-1433818393_thumb.post-124741-0-89722700-1433818409_thumb.

Same thing happened to me.  Same vendor.  Same zinc plated retainer (which tells you it is junk).  The rubber will not stay bonded to the retainer and is not compatible with exposure to transmission fluid.  You did not install it wrong.  Check Fatsco, Bob's Automobilia and others.

Willie

Sometime ago, I recall looking at mud bones' youtube dynaflow rebuild series and I think in one of them he is welding a grooved retainer ring on the outer perimeter of his for added insurance.  Might want to take a close look at that and see what he is up to.  

As far as the suggestion for finding another vender, these days they might all be buying the same junk from the same peddler …. just saying.  I believe the OEM assembly and seal was vulcanized as a single unit to meet and seal better with the ring seal and this newer stuff is not.  If that is the case, I believe there are places out there where you can get your unit properly vulcanized using the right material before assembly. 

Edited by buick man (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Last update:

After replacing the torque ball with a new one (this time a vulcanized one) and re-filling the transmission with 6 quarts of ATF, the car drives fine again. Now more vibrations, now more transmission slipping. And so far no oil spots under the car.

It looks like the old zinc plated outer retainer had the rubber seal only glued in and came off after a while. I hope the new vulcanized one will hold up longer.

Chris