Help with replacing TieRod Ends, unsure size

GarageStudios

All,

I have been trying to search online, as well as my car manual.. Having difficulty finding the size to replace my tie rod ends.. I managed to restore / recover the "links"? The rods that connect the ends together...

The units were so rusted that I had to use heat and penetration oil soak to remove the ends.. The ends are not recoverable, balls are worn, boots rotted and rusted inside...

How do I measure the thread? Are there different ends per side? The car uses 4 of them..

One end to the wheel, the other end stops at the centre of the car to a center rod? Sorry can't explain well, pics attached.

Any assistance as always, very much appreciated...

post-116527-0-47902700-1433638594_thumb.

post-116527-0-51698200-1433638612_thumb.

post-116527-0-15723900-1433638628_thumb.

Edited by CDN224 (see edit history)

All,

I have been trying to search online, as well as my car manual.. Having difficulty finding the size to replace my tie rod ends.. I managed to restore / recover the "links"? The rods that connect the ends together...

The units were so rusted that I had to use heat and penetration oil soak to remove the ends.. The ends are not recoverable, balls are worn, boots rotted and rusted inside...

How do I measure the thread? Are there different ends per side? The car uses 4 of them..

One end to the wheel, the other end stops at the centre of the car to a center rod? Sorry can't explain well, pics attached.

Any assistance as always, very much appreciated...

IT would help to know the make/model/year.  In any case, typically the pair on a given collar will be RH/LH thread so the assembly can be lengthened or shortened by simply turning the center collar.  As noted, simply go to your preferred vendor's catalog and look up your application.  Tie rod ends differ by thread and stud taper for a given application, so you must get the correct replacements.

You can measure the thread by using a thread pitch gauge. It made somewhat like a feeler gauge but has a large number of thread pitches looking somewhat like saw blades. My tap and die set (American made) has one included. I would think Harbor Freight or Northern would have them. It is a very usefull shop tool.

You can measure the thread by using a thread pitch gauge. It made somewhat like a feeler gauge but has a large number of thread pitches looking somewhat like saw blades. My tap and die set (American made) has one included. I would think Harbor Freight or Northern would have them. It is a very usefull shop tool.

Brilliant, I have a Tap N Die set, never broke the case open yet; It may have a measuring tool....

IT would help to know the make/model/year.  In any case, typically the pair on a given collar will be RH/LH thread so the assembly can be lengthened or shortened by simply turning the center collar.  As noted, simply go to your preferred vendor's catalog and look up your application.  Tie rod ends differ by thread and stud taper for a given application, so you must get the correct replacements.

1937 Pontiac Sedan, sister car of the Chevy Master 6. I will post my User Manuals part numbers, perhaps someone has a MOOG reference.

1937 Pontiac Sedan, sister car of the Chevy Master 6. I will post my User Manuals part numbers, perhaps someone has a MOOG reference.

Kanter lists inner and outer tie rod ends for your car at $29 each.  Why waste time measuring thread pitch and stud taper when you can just order the correct parts?