Packard single six wont run

Guest Phil Cordery

Guest Phil Cordery

My engine is as new,  I have just ground & fitted new valves, etc engine has been rebuilt recently, 

It will start straight away but only runs for a few revs, sometimes it will run 10 seconds, it only runs when Hand throttle is set at high, looks like a carb fault, spring setting on air valve is OK, 

have checked jet is clear, anyone with any ideas. it has the fueliser type carb, 

Phil,

It sounds like its starving for fuel, what happens when you lift the float needle, does it flood freely?  If not there is a restriction somewhere.

The air valve springs should just hold the air valve touching the seat so that the slightest suction starts to open it .  That should allow it to run then a little adjustment might improve it.

(BTW how is the Maxwell, Frank and I were wondering?)

David

Guest Phil Cordery

Thanks David, re Maxwell, it runs, ordered some brass for running boards, but petrol tank decided to leak again, so am drying that out before repair, fancied a change of scene so started on Packard, On the Packard carb body either side,  I have 2 screws & 2 lock nuts, these were missing, i have replaced from another carb, what are they, & what is the basic setting, they look like air bleed screws, when the choke is fully on it locks the air valve from moving, so I assume its running on a very rich mixture, makes no difference still wont run, beyond initial  firing. 

Phil,

Those two screws and lock nuts are not air bleed screws, the screws have pointed ends and they hold the inner venturi in place, if they were missing then the   venturi will probably have slipped down or worse could be missing.  In either case, getting it to run would be virtually impossible.  

When the choke is fully on it should lock the air valve closed.   

I will be interested in what you find with that venturi.

David 

Guest Phil Cordery

David, I do have a venturi fitted, & it seems to be locked solid, what holds it in apart from the 2 screws mentioned, 

still have the same problem, engine fires immediateley then cuts out, plenty of fuel , floods the intake manifold, suspect electrics now, have replaced the Coil checked dissie  still the same. 

Phil,

From memory (and it is probably 30 years since I had mine apart), to remove the venturi you first remove the fueliser from the carburetor body, release the 2 set screws and the venturi  will lift out but it will probably need some penetrating oil or a little heat after all the years.  However if its in place then that is not the problem.

Flooding the inlet manifold could be caused by a problem with the vacuum tank.  If the suction line is not shutting off the vac tank will continue to fill until fuel  is being sucked directly into the manifold through the line from the vac tank to the inlet manifold.  I would remove the top from the vac tank to see if this is happening.

If it is suspect simply block the suction line from the manifold and try running it with the vac tank half full.

David

Guest Phil Cordery

David, this car has a new engine not run for quite some time, I am putting 1 pint in the autovac, & thats all, turn engine over , & she fires first time & thats all you get. engine turns over on starter OK<  not tight, Im working on my own so cannot check things when engine turning . 

Phil,  

I feel your frustration, I usually  working alone & have the same problem.  I wish I could drop by and help but if you were any further away you would be closer!

All I can offer are the obvious things that I am sure you have tried such as making sure it has a good spark by shorting the lead from the coil while opening the points, checking the ignition timing with a static light, checking the valve timing by making sure that  TDC corresponds to the flywheel marking, check float level and so on. Nothing very helpful there, hopefully someone else can come up with some suggestions.

Good luck.  

David

Guest Phil Cordery

David, after re checking everything i decided to check valve timing., yes timing marks again, off with front cover , set engine to TDC with 1-6 on top,  2 circular marks on crank gear right opposite cam shaft, but cam gear marks are 5 marks away, have reset, but going on holiday so will have to wait till I return. will report then, Thanks Phil.