16V TCs basically being given away, wow!

Giving them away way under value. Get um while they are cheap. $5411 for a showroom 89 with low miles, 4995$ for a 90 16v which 90s are even less made and its a common block. What the hell happened?

• 1 month later...

Rarity does not always mean desirable or high value. Most people don't want to mess with a ~30 year old Chrysler/Maserati mash-up that you can barely find parts for.

I LOVE these cars, but I think that expecting the 16V cars to fetch exorbitant prices just because of low production is a bit wishful thinking.

I think a lot of the real Maserati's have Chevy small blocks in them because of the cost of rebuilding the engines.  If I were younger than 71 I might jump on one but I have enough on my plate already.  To be honest, a 2.2 hybrid with a 2.4 16 valve head would be easier to source parts for.  I'm not going to do that either.

I'm also not going to buy a new car with stop and steer by wire with no mechanical connection.

• Like 1

OK guys, I'm right in the middle of buying one of these-http://www.ebay.com/itm/181818093753?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT( Just sold on bay last Wed. )

Price seems low, doesn't it?

HOWEVER,

Now the seller doesn't want to use pay pal, and I have to get it transported--$850 charge.

He is acting a bit squirrely, says he has a case going with pay pal,etc etc. and is trying to pressure me into sending funds with no guarantee of the cars condition, or even its existence, other than his word. We are trying to come to terms, using an escrow service, where they hold funds until I approve condition upon delivery. Or, he wants a local car dealer to buy the car from him, and re sell it to me for a fee???? Hmmmm.....

$3200 seems like a steal, and if it sounds too good to be true.................

What are your thoughts on this, and what would you do?

Hello Mensanguy

I would go look at the car, or get someone to check it out for you. Have him upload a video of the car. Do you have the time to drive it back, or someone you trust to do it?  The windshield VIN is not attached permanently to the car, check other numbers. When ever people start putting strange conditions on sales, I have learned to back off.  I have one of the 16v ones, and it has been a real problem to fix things on it.     Good Luck Philip

4k delivered is 4K and not to many people call that pocket change, and 3.2K for a clean 72K mile car is a deal, not a steal. I grew up on a car lot and no matter how we feel about our special cars, when you get right down to business, this is nothing more than an old convertible and the market is seasonal. Most of these cars are worth more than they're worth in the early spring and almost free come fall. In my opinion the TC is what the Edsil was, a car waiting to be wanted. Until then, it's just an old car.

If you're really questioning the car, and depending on the local dealer, who I would check the living heck out of before making any deal. I would run the title through their license and let them have a taste. A licensed dealer will have a hook into the local auto auction and can easily find a driver with an open spot on his way to Denver and from Denver it can make the ABC auction at Virginia Beach for about 3 bills less than you will pay and 10% to a dealer on a touch and go, is about the going rate.

No pics of the engine...or trunk...and you have no way of getting eyes on it. Then they start acting funny about payment. Yeah, something sounds sketchy there...

OK guys, I'm right in the middle of buying one of these-http://www.ebay.com/itm/181818093753?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT( Just sold on bay last Wed. )

Price seems low, doesn't it?

HOWEVER,

Now the seller doesn't want to use pay pal, and I have to get it transported--$850 charge.

He is acting a bit squirrely, says he has a case going with pay pal,etc etc. and is trying to pressure me into sending funds with no guarantee of the cars condition, or even its existence, other than his word. We are trying to come to terms, using an escrow service, where they hold funds until I approve condition upon delivery. Or, he wants a local car dealer to buy the car from him, and re sell it to me for a fee???? Hmmmm.....

$3200 seems like a steal, and if it sounds too good to be true.................

What are your thoughts on this, and what would you do?

Has some of the hallmarks of a scam- I'd pass.

Bob

Windshield VIN's are as permanent as the pop rivets that hold them in place and what they are riveted to. Ours are attached to removable dash trim, don't even need to pull the window glass to change the VIN plate.

Sounds like the guy selling this car is trying to pull something over, question is what on whom? EBay gets paid when the car sells through EBay and EBay gets to Pay Pal first. The guy might be biting his lip to take less than 32 and clearing less than 28, might be more than he can stand to take.

Good luck, theres a 32k mile 89 16v in my state for 2250. I've thought of buying it to part out even, I refuse to give mine away regardlessbof what the value of the sales seem to be. Its sad, 5k for mint 90 16v is pretty cheap. Cause that's what I watched one go for

What I ment was to check the numbers.  Check the production tag, the frame numbers, and others.  Digger explained it perfectly.  How I found out about the windshield VIN, was when I was taking an interior out of a car, very suprised with what I found.

Many thanks to everyone for their advice, and for keeping me from making a huge mistake on this car.  I paid a mechanic to go by and check it out, and it was some of the best money I've ever spent. To begin with, he took pictures, and it looked -Nothing- like the ones posted on e bay.  The pics must have been 10 years old. Mice had gotten into the car and eaten up a lot of the wiring, very few electrical things worked. It was very dirty, and needed vacuuming . When I asked about the dirt on the floor, the seller replied" I don't have power in my garage to run a vacuum". Duh, cant you DRIVE the car to your house and plug the vacuum in there? Also " the seats are loose because I took them out to clean them" Why take the seats out???? because mice had gotten in them, or because they are replacement seats??? Which brings me to the top,, which was in really  bad shape and needed to be replaced. Well, wouldn't the rest of the car reflect the same amount of wear and damage?? Remember, this vehicle was advertised as being garaged. The engine looked bad, but did run OK, and it did drive allright the mechanic said, but there were about 2500 worth of repairs needed to get it road worthy, in Addition to the electrical problems which could cost 2 grand plus if the wiring harness had to be replaced.

Lets see, 3200 purchase price + 1250 transportation, + 2500 repairs + 750 top replace + wiring repairs + title and taxes = over  $10,000 or so to get it right.

Suddenly doesn't look like such a great deal after all.