Help ID this axle. A5131 DB.

Hello, I have a tube type axle set up with mounts for eliptical springs (front to rear). It has spindles with spindle arms cast together in one piece. The spindle arms and tie rod are on the rear of the axle. The right spindle has the steering connection arm coming off of it and arcing foreward and up away from the axle. This steering arm is also cast in one piece together with the right spindle. (On the 1903 Model A that I saw, this arm is on the left side, and faces the rear, but that was in an auto museum, and that car may not have had the correct axle on it.) The axle has a forged piece of about 1/2 inch rod going across from the left spindle yoke to the right spindle yoke with a turnbuckle hafway across. This rod serves as a sort of truss to strengthen the axle. It is held away from the axle by two cast brackets about 7-1/2 inches in from the spindle yokes (these cast brackets are part of the pads the springs mount to, and look like they are just slid over the tube when assembled.) The distance between the centers of the wheels (or the "track") is very close to 56 inches. The wheels are wood felloe non demountable clincher type, and the rims are the same width as a Model T 30x3-1/2, but the diameter of the wheel seems to be about 3/4 to one inch smaller. The wheel hubs take a hubcap about 2-5/8 inches in diameter. There are numbers stamped into the top of the axle "tube" next to the left spindle yoke. A5131, and below that are two smaller unreadable characters and then a Capital letter D with a smaller capital letter B inside of it (which I believe is the Dodge Brothers trademark). The 1903 Model A Ford is the first vehicle I have seen with an axle so close to this one. I have had this axle for over a year now, and would like to solve the mystery of what it fits. I was going to use it for a trailer for behind my Model T, but I would hate to have a bearing fail, and not be able to get a replacement. If you need to see it to identify it, I can email a photo or two. I have a digital camera, so tell me what you want to see in your email. If I knew how to add a photo to this description, I would, but I don't. Thanks alot! -Adam Doleshal.

• 1 month later...