Crank, no fire.

bhclark

My son's 230,000 mile 1990 stranded him the other day. It will crank, but won't start.

I towed it home today and began diagnosis.

No pressure at the fuel rail, so I pulled the fuel filter. No pressure in the line at all.

Looks like an original A/C fuel filter, so I'll replace it while I've got it out.

Cranked with no fuel filter in place and no fuel coming through at all.

I'm assuming fuel pump, but want to rule out the relay and regulator if necessary.

I don't have the master's degree in BS to figure out where the relay is using the FSM. :)

Can someone give me a hint?

What's the best way to check the fuel pump regulator, if that could be causing the issue?

Any other tips, tricks, or suggestions to verify prior to dropping the tank?

Car has a fresh full tank of gas, so that ought to be fun. I think I'm going to have to buy a pump to empty the tank before I drop it.

Recommendations on fuel pump (and strainer) brand?  I know it's usually worth it to go with a name brand here.

Thanks guys!

Edited by bhclark (see edit history)

There should be a single lead with a green connector shell sticking out of the wiring harness on the LH side of the engine bay.It's not connected to anything, just hangs there. It's the fuel pump priming connector. Apply 12 volts to it to run the pump.

Forget the fuel regulator.

I changed the relay. No change.

I'll try the fuel pump primer next.

I'm considering sending this to the mechanic.

I pulled the gas tank out of the '89 parts car, but the rear end was out at the time. It looks like the track bar and the exhaust are in the way of pulling the tank. Not fun, especially in the driveway  instead of the garage.  ugh.

I'm guessing about $800 for the shop to do it. ($100 in parts that I'm sure they will charge $200 for) I'll call and get a few estimates tomorrow.

Thanks Harry. I ran a jumper from the + battery terminal to the green connector. No dice. \

So, that seems to narrow it down to the pump or the wiring to the pump, which I'll have to drop the tank to inspect the end of anyway.

If I can remove the heat shield without removing the exhaust and I can find a pump that will get most of the fuel out, then I'll do the job when we return from the Nationals. Working every day between then and now...no time.

opinion on Delco vs. Bosch fuel pumps?  Delco is listed as OEM and Bosch as an OEM upgrade. The Bosch pictures all the associated parts. I'm assuming the Delco comes with all that as well?  I know to stay away from the generic, Airtex, etc.

It looks like the Dephi strainer is the same quality as the Delco.

And I'll probably go Wix on the filter.

Edited by bhclark (see edit history)