2016 Buick Club of America 50th Anniversary Event

Anderson,

As long as you can commit enough people to leave and depart on the same day and can arrange to meet at a central space, or possible add along the way, you should be able to get a good deal.  If you have only two, you can hire a smaller two car enclosed trailer, but if you have four or five, you can get a semi by any number of companies. Ask them for a quote and divide by the number of cars (some may have two), and you will get the cost estimate.  If they need to stop for along the way for others, that will be extra.  In CT we did the same thing for Flint in 2003, selecting one space for four cars, ranging from a '28 to a  '53 Skylark, with one coming from MA, so we had five cars in an Intercity trailer..  Pretty reasonable, as I recall.

Good luck.  I agree with you, a first long drive with a fresh restoration is not a good idea, without some road miles first.

John  

Anderson,

As long as you can commit enough people to leave and depart on the same day and can arrange to meet at a central space, or possible add along the way, you should be able to get a good deal.  If you have only two, you can hire a smaller two car enclosed trailer, but if you have four or five, you can get a semi by any number of companies. Ask them for a quote and divide by the number of cars (some may have two), and you will get the cost estimate.  If they need to stop for along the way for others, that will be extra.  In CT we did the same thing for Flint in 2003, selecting one space for four cars, ranging from a '28 to a  '53 Skylark, with one coming from MA, so we had five cars in an Intercity trailer..  Pretty reasonable, as I recall.

Good luck.  I agree with you, a first long drive with a fresh restoration is not a good idea, without some road miles first.

John  

Much thanks John. I'll start reaching out to others via a new thread. Any recommendations on what to ask from a transporter? Things to look for, or steer clear of? Anderson

I'd like to have the 75th anniversary 1941 there, but about 1600 miles and 24 hours driving according to Google Maps has me thinking it won't happen.

The current plan is to create our own caravan with the 1966 Wildcat, 1976 Century pace car replica, and 1988 Reatta. We may have the song "Convoy" in our heads as we will likely gather some MN Buicks into our fold and possibly even some Chicagoland Chapter folks as we head east.

I probably should have registered before the Canadian dollar dropped as it has. Will likely wait now until after tax season and I get the US dollar credit card.

Guest Jeff 1952

Here's your latest Registration Update:

786 Registered

380 Show Cars

56  Trailers

67  Vendor Spaces

498 BCA Banquet

258 BHA Banquet

110 Dorney Cruise In

Looking at hotels, I'm glad we're bringing the big car--looks like we might have to rent it out to people who can't get hotel rooms. I'm betting the convention in Philadelphia is going to eat up all the hotel rooms pretty quickly, long before the event. We just booked ours at about $250/night, which is shocking to me, but it's the cheapest in the area right now. I can only imagine prices going up from here.

We're planning on leaving Thursday afternoon, probably stopping over somewhere for the night, and arriving before noon on Friday for the festivities. I can't afford to be away from the business longer than that and making the kids sit in the back of an old car for 7 or 8 hours is asking a lot, even a limousine. We may do the PWD tour afterwards, though.

If you're even thinking of going, book your hotel NOW. You can always cancel or give your reservation to someone else, but I bet by April everything within 150 miles is going to be sold out.

Matt,

There must be something cheaper if indeed everything in Allentown to Easton is full.  Did you try out toward Reading which is within 40 miles of the site?   I seriously doubt that people at the DNC are going to want to travel an hour each way.  Perhaps we should ask Jeff for an update on hotels. If I hear of anyone to cancel in the Northeast, I will try to connect you.  I am looking forward to seeing that limo and we would be pleased to welcome you on the PWD for any or all of the three days.  Are you on the e-mail roster of the PWD.  If not, let me have your e-mail addres sby PM and I will add you.

John

We'll be there no matter what. I'm excited about the event and taking the Limited on a longer road trip. My wife is looking for less expensive rates, but even the skeezy hotels are $200/night at this point. I don't know how far conventioneers are willing to travel, but it appears that the hotels are planning on having them as guests at jacked-up rates.

Please add me to the PWD e-mail list: Matt@HarwoodMotors.com

Thanks!

Guest Jeff 1952

I need to understand the Hotel issue because our latest update, shows plenty of space. at most every hotel. I can send you the entire list.

Please e-mail me:  Jeff1952@tts-us.com   

OK, here's what Melanie found out by calling around:

Be sure to call the hotel at which you're interested in booking a room, don't try to book it online. The online quotes are vastly different than when you call. We got our rate bumped down to $150/night at the Hampton Inn by talking to someone rather than using their online booking system. Melanie called several other places prior to that and the Hilton is not accepting reservations at the posted rate, and two others had people working the desk that didn't know what she was talking about. The lady at the Hampton was somehow able to see availability at other hotels and there are still plenty of rooms, but the rates are all over the place and don't match what it says on the event flyer. You may or may not get the group rate, which is why we tried calling back. You need to talk to a real, live person and if you don't get the rate that's on the flyer, call back another time and talk to another person. Most employees don't seem to know anything about the BCA or a group rate or anything like that. There are no discount codes on the flyer that you can use, you simply have to find someone who has been briefed about the event.

Secondly, they don't seem to be extending the rates to Sunday--they're expecting everyone to be out of there Sunday, and our rate on Sunday night was higher than Friday or Saturday. Not sure why this is, but it was the same at the other hotels we called. The lady Melanie spoke with at the Hampton did say that they're expecting a lot of people from the DNC convention. We'll have to figure out where we'll stay Sunday night if we're doing the PWD Tour.

So there are plenty of rooms still available, but to get the lowest rates, you need to talk to someone who knows about the BCA event. Don't book online. And do it soon!

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

So there are plenty of rooms still available, but to get the lowest rates, you need to talk to someone who knows about the BCA event. Don't book online. And do it soon!

I just booked the Hampton Inn & Suites Bethlehem and got the BCA rate. I'm only staying for two nights, but the women told me there is still availibility for earlier check-in dates, but it will sell out soon.

Guest Jeff 1952

Property

Address

Jan pick up

Best Western Plus Allentown (will become a Holiday Inn Express in Oct)

5630 Tilghman Street, Allentown PA 18104

TBD

Best Western Plus Lehigh Valley Hotel

300 Gateway Drive, Bethlehem PA 18017

900/418

Courtyard Allentown Bethlehem/ Lehigh Valley Airport

2160 Motel Drive, Bethlehem PA 18018

120/55

Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott

2140 Motel Drive, Bethlehem PA 18018

180/243

Hampton Inn & Suites Bethlehem

200 Gateway Drive, Bethlehem PA 18017

300/53

Hampton Inn Allentown

7471 Keebler Way, Allentown PA 18106

260/15

Hilton Garden Inn Allentown Bethlehem Airport

1787 B. Airport Road, Allentown PA 18109

92/96

Hilton Garden Inn Allentown West

230 Sycamore Road, Breinigsville, PA 18031

120/3

Holiday Inn Allentown I-78 (Lehigh Valley)

7736 Adrienne Drive, Breinigsville PA 18031

672/8

Holiday Inn Center City Allentown

904 West Hamilton Street, Allentown PA 18101

612/78

Holiday Inn Express & Suites (Cherry Lane)

2201 Cherry Lane, Bethlehem PA 18015

120/4

Holiday Inn Express Bethlehem Allentown Airport

3375 High Point Blvd, Bethlehem PA 18017

144/77

Homewood Suites Allentown West

7686 Industrial Blvd, Allentown PA 18106

110/0

Homewood Suites by Hilton Allentown/Bethlehem Airport

2031 Avenue C, Bethlehem PA 18017

TBD

Hyatt Place Bethlehem

45 West North Street, Bethlehem PA 18018

360/24

Ramada Whitehall/Allentown

1500 MacArthur Road, Whitehall PA 18052

342/229

Renaissance Allentown

12 North Seventh Street, Allentown PA 18101

200/275

Residence Inn Allentown Bethlehem/Lehigh Valley Airport

2180 Motel Drive, Bethlehem PA 18018

120/93

Sands Bethlehem

77 Sands Blvd, Bethlehem PA 18015

TBD

Staybridge Suites Allentown Bethlehem Airport

1787 A. Airport Road, Allentown PA 18109

120/122

TownePlace Suites Bethlehem Easton

3800 Easton-Nazareth Highway, Easton PA 18045

120/0

Wingate by Wyndham Allentown

4325 Hamilton Blvd, Allentown PA 18103

TBD

Here is the last report received from Helms Briscoe, (January)  showing plenty of room nights still available. 

Sold out:

Fairfield Inn, Bethlehem

Hilton Garden. Allentown

Renaissance, Allentown 

Residence Inn, Lehigh Valley Airport

Just out of curiosity I checked the Red Roof Inn Allentown. It's been years since I stayed there but it was OK at the time. Not fancy but clean and close to the Airport. It's maybe 2 miles from the show. They show rooms available for $88 a nite for the show dates..............Bob

Guest Jeff 1952

Let's change the subject for a moment.

Chapters who wish to have a table(s) to sell their merchandise, need to send me a message and let me know the number of tables and the days you will need those tables. 

We have had one group ask us if they can do a raffle, and we feel there is a risk to the BCA as it relates to gambling laws; and have said no.

Questions and table reservations:  Jeff1952@tts-us.com.

Guest Jeff 1952

Food Vendors:   Yes, there will be Food Vendors on site each day at the 50th Anniversary Celebration.

Guest damifino

I hope you have put some serious consideration into the off site parking.  If there’s as many alternate vehicles as show cars (I’m betting 30% more), that will be at least 1000 spaces and maybe 1900 warm bodies waiting for a shuttle.  I realize folks will drift in over the week, but maybe enough will be there Wednesday to cause a problem for those having to check in and get a tour ticket by 9:00. And we’ll be leaving the c-plex at dark thirty after the BOD meeting. As the week goes on, the shuttle lines will get longer and longer.  When the show field is open to the general public, our guests will be in the alternate lot too. And it looks like most of us will leave the lot and turn left onto a busy street. As for me, I’m looking for a rent-a heap-cheep that I can enter in the show.

It would have been a great opportunity to perform some basic body, paint and reassembly work and have the 1941 Century with code 913 wool broadcloth interior make an appearance at the 50th anniversary meet. However, my father and I currently have our hands full getting the 1937 46C ready in time for the trip to Allentown. If there is any interest, then we could pull the 1941 Century out of the garage so people can see the interior around the time of the national meet. Interested members can send me a PM for more details. Thanks.

Guest Jeff 1952

The Trailer Parking/Car Parking is directly across the street from the Main Entrance to the Show site at Coke Park, Wednesday evening through the weekend.

We will have 10 plus shuttle golf carts to move people around.

The ONLY day the show is open to the Public is Saturday.

Does this answer your question?

Guest Jeff 1952

On Saturday, our Beautiful Buick Show, will be open to the Pubic:

Saturday, July 30 from 9 am until 3 pm, last entry time of 2:30 pm:

The donation for entry is $5.00 for adults, $2.00 for children up to age 12, $2.00 for seniors 60+, and free for veterans with ID.

America on Wheels will have Volunteers collecting donations at the entry gate.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jeff 1952

*ROAR Social House  http://roarallentown.com/  High-end, contemporary and modern American cuisine with full-service bar with speakeasy in the back of the building.

The Dime  http://thedimeallentown.com/  Upscale, locally sourced, contemporary and modern American cuisine with full-service bar.

CENTRO http://centroallentown.com/  Northern and rustic Italian with a small, shared-plates concept dining experience. Full-service bar with Italian cocktails and Italian beers on top or in bottles.  

Grain. http://grainallentown.com/  American comfort food with full-service bar.

The Hamilton Kitchen and Bar  http://thehamiltonkitchen.com/story/  Seasonal American cuisine with full-service bar and outside patio space. Great collection of different American whiskeys.

Looking for places to eat in Allentown?  Here are a few that have been recommended to me....JB

I can't wait for this meet!

Is there a new Registration Update since 2/21?

Bet it will fill up faster now that we are downhill!

Guest Jeff 1952

Time for some Buick Celebration Updates:

Registrants                 909

Beautiful Buicks         428

Vendor Spaces            88

Saturday Banquet      561

Friday BHA Banquet  287

Dorney Park Picnic    122

Buick will be joining us with Concept Cars and new cars.  Have you seen the new Convertible?

These are great numbers, with still 4 months to go.  It's going to be a big show. Past registration trends tell me about half of all registrations arrive within the last 2 months before the event.  If that stays true, you can take these numbers and double them to estimate the final numbers. They just might hit their limit of 1,000 Buicks.  I hope so.

Guest Jeff 1952

Want to ride a roller coaster before we get to the July Celebration??  Don't live near Dorney but want to go to Cedar Point or King's Island for a great cause?   Check this out!

https://Arthritis.CedarFair.com

cedarfair.jpgDear Friend, 

We have teamed up with Cedar Fair, Inc., for a very special awareness and fundraising campaign benefiting our mission to conquer and cure arthritis.Enjoy awesome summertime fun at amusement parks in Ohio and Pennsylvania, all while championing the fight against arthritis!

cpaf10.jpgFrom now through June 15, Cedar Fair is offering discount tickets to Cedar Point (Sandusky, OH), Kings Island (Cincinnati, OH) and Dorney Park (Allentown, PA), plus a donation to the Foundation for every ticket sold.

In addition, Cedar Fair will donate all proceeds from spare change collection boxes set throughout the park to the Foundation during JA Awareness Week, May 20th-29th. And, as if this isn't awesome enough, each park will host one JA family during that week and broadcast arthritis information and stories on TV monitors throughout all three parks during JA Awareness Week. 

These special discount tickets can only be purchased online at https://Arthritis.CedarFair.com and can be used from May 14 through June 15, 2016, after which they can be used by paying an additional surcharge at the gate. Purchase your tickets and help us conquer arthritis today!

Don't be selfish!

060807290342hb.jpgHelp others increase their summertime fun (and our fundraising and awareness initiative) by sharing this email with others. Anyone can buy these special discount tickets. So forward this email to your friends and neighbors...heck, even that grumpy guy you work with!

For more information, contact Maureen Kiley, Region Business Manager, Arthritis Foundation, at 614-503-5587 or mkiley@arthritis.org

The address listed on the mail wrapper is 808 Fenwick St., Allentown.  Hours the Registration will be open, I believe are also posted, or will be listed.  By the way, this is just over the request for volunteers on the wrapper.  (hint)

John

• Like 1

Guest Jeff 1952

Good Registration News to be shared with all of our members.  We have crossed the first Registration threshold with 1010 Registrants. 470 Beautiful Buick's and counting.

Guest Jeff 1952

Ladies and Gentlemen:  The AACA Museum, for which we will be visiting during our 50th Anniversary Celebration, has kindly agreed to display BCA member cars during that week as a highlight and tribute to our event.    The display period is Monday, July 25 to Monday, August 1.

I have two cars so far:  A 1990 Reatta Select 60 and a 1977 Buick Regal 2 Door Colonnade.  

We have room for two more, if another/more  BCA member(s)  would like to be included in the display.

Please contact me:  Jeff1952@tts-us.com      if you would like to participate.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Question about the Buick Meet in Allentown ,,if iv already registered my 1973 Regal and im finding maybe it wont be ready  and road worthy to drive that far, Can i come and switch cars with my 1990 Regal its a little more reliable to drive that far. I hate not to take the 73 but had trouble this past thanksgiving  went to PA and the top radiator hose collapsed and got cut by the fan belt. Cant figure out why this happened.

Buick Regal GS,

I suggest you call the office for clarification, but, I believe, as long as you meet the deadline for changes (registration) and you tell them, they can make sure you get the correct parking area, as these cars are a twenty year differences and will be in different areas.  Naturally, the earlier the decision is made, the better it will be for those involved in parking arrangements.

John

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 6:34 PM, Jeff 1952 said:

Good Registration News to be shared with all of our members.  We have crossed the first Registration threshold with 1010 Registrants. 470 Beautiful Buick's and counting.

OK - can I register now for the meet and Saturday 'Beautiful Buicks' then add a Friday tour later? Trying to work out time off  - definitely want to do Saturday but not sure what I can do before then. (Sure don't want those 1000 spaces to fill up without me!) I do have hotel reservations - all set there.

Advice please??

:huh:

Just a quick small addition to Bill's note, there is also a cut-off date of July 6.  Otherwise, you will have to look for someone selling tickets.  Personally, I am think these tours have so much interest and there may not be many tickets being swapped.

John 

• Like 1

Thank you John and Bill.