Early Farm Wagon with Buick Ties.

Dandy Dave

A good friend is selling his farm that has been connected with his family for many, many years. Tons of horse equipment. I rolled this out of the barn yesterday. The Box is also there. Will have to look for several other smaller pieces. Says, "The Flint Wagon Works, Flint Mich." across the back. Thought some of you would like to see it. Billy Durant bought the Flint Wagon Works in 1911. The rest is Buick History. Dandy Dave!  

post-87870-0-80049300-1432898870_thumb.j

post-87870-0-84207300-1432898888_thumb.j

post-87870-0-06899700-1432898914_thumb.j

post-87870-0-62732600-1432898934_thumb.j

post-87870-0-27721800-1432898974_thumb.j

post-87870-0-32092200-1432898993_thumb.j

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

Wow!!!  I can see why they were considered top wagon makers!  Excellent pictures Dave!  Are you going to try and bring it home?  Doesn't look to be that much older than the Chartreuse Lady! 

LOL. I believe it is a little older than the Chartreuse Lady JD. It is already here JD. Putting an Auction together with the owner and it will be sold when we have a definite Auction Date. Unless The Buick Heritage Center/ Or Sloan Museum May want it. Dandy Dave!  

Guest shadetree77

Wow! That's really cool Dave! Have you contacted the Sloan? I would think that they would be interested.

Holy cow ... that has to be awesome to see in person, Dave.  So cool!  Thank you for sharing the story & pics.

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"You can't see what those shades of gray keep covered" __ Jamey Johnson __ 'In Color'

Yeah, I thought it was cool. Spoke with the owner yesterday, If the Sloan, Or GM Heritage Center is interested, They could have it for a tax write off, and get it there with someone willing to truck it. I can get it loaded easy enough. Dandy Dave!

Dave, Kevin Kerbitz of GM (and also of the Buick Heritage Foundation) said the GM would be interested in the wagon for display in the Durant-Dort Carriage Factory No. 1, currently being restored by GM.  It's located on Water Street in Flint, across from the restored Durant-Dort Office Building.  I can get you in contact with him if you are interested.

Dave

• Like 1

Neat stuff.

I sat with Kevin at e banquet under the tent in 2008 when he collected a bunch of accolades.

Now if I had the space / time / etc. a McLaughlin carriage would be cool. There's at least one in a museum in western Manitoba.

I commend you on your stewardship and friend factor Dave.

Well isn't that just dandy! Thanks for posting.

That piece is going to make someone really happy when they buy it.

Also that is a seriously massive grindstone in the background. I'd like to have one like that.

That's not a grind stone. That is a Fodder cutter. Years ago my Grandfather had a Grindstone that was from the Bradly Axe factory. It was about 10 inches wide and around 6 foot in diameter. Dandy Dave!  

Well isn't that just dandy! Thanks for posting.

That piece is going to make someone really happy when they buy it.

Also that is a seriously massive grindstone in the background. I'd like to have one like that.

OK I see now. Should have looked a little closer. I'd like to know what that wagon sells for when the time comes.

• Like 1

Dave,

Just sent you an email.  We'd love to have it in Flint and display it in Durant-Dort Factory 1.

Kevin

Good. Waiting on paper work from you folks Kevin. Hopefully you can arrange trucking soon as I hate to see it outside for any length of time. Pulled the box out of the barn a few days ago. Will post some photos when I get it in a photographable area. Dandy Dave!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Have not been on here lately gang. Many Irons in the fire. Just got off of the phone with Kevin Kerbitz. The sooner you guys get here to get this the better. The last of August works fine from where I am sitting. Here are photos of the wagon box. It is 13 foot 1 inch long so you will need a trailer in tow. It is the blue/ gray part. The red part is another wagon that we set it on just to keep it off of the ground. Dandy Dave!  

post-87870-0-14439700-1440162578_thumb.j

post-87870-0-21619400-1440162595_thumb.j

post-87870-0-76562800-1440162611_thumb.j

post-87870-0-66510800-1440162638_thumb.j

post-87870-0-13208200-1440162661_thumb.j

• Like 1

Dr. Schramm, this could get interesting.

Dave, what is the height of the box side and what is the distance from the bottom of the axle to the ground?

And how far outside the width of the box do the wheels ride?

Thinking we put the box on the floor of the trailer and have the axle/wheel assemblies strattle it? Or one wheel in the box, one out.

We are going to need lots of pads.

Or does it still all go back together and can support itself for the ride?

Or do we mount the box above the two axles on a cribbing?

Or do we take the wheels off?

I thought we were just moving two axle assemblies.

Maybe use the trailer and the truck bed both with the whole thing disassembled?

Hmmmmm.

Dr. We are going to need the whoooole trailer. Time to remove those 1915 Truck parts.

Maybe we buy two horses and take the long way home? On second thought, we already have enough horse . . . .

Get along there little doggies.

It sure looks fragile.

We may need to wrap it in pads and crib it / box it in.

This is not going to load in 20 minutes.

Dave? What's for dinner?

• Like 1

Anything you and Larry want Brother Brian. Not to worry. This will slide together pretty quickly. Larry has a replacement reach pole in the works as we speak as the original is missing. Dandy Dave!

Maybe we buy two horses and take the long way home? On second thought, we already have enough horse . . . .

Get along there little doggies.

It sure looks fragile.

We may need to wrap it in pads and crib it / box it in.

This is not going to load in 20 minutes.

Dave? What's for dinner?

You will need all of 16 foot for a little room to walk around it and get it tied down. The wheels stick out in the back about 6 inches past the box. The width is under 6 foot so that should not be an issue. The pole the horses were hitched to is broken off to about 5 or 6 foot long but it can be removed. Height is not a problem. Larry's truck is taller. We will drop it together and move it in one piece. My opinion, that would be the best thing to do. And the Buick Snow Master is available for any lifting that is necessary.  Dandy Dave!   

Larry is having a reach pole made.  Sure, why back in the city growing up, everybody knew what a reach pole is.  I'm guessing this reaches between the two axles since there is nothing there now and the box is for carrying and the pole is for reaching.  Or, am I reaching?

I've moved my three daughters a combined 29 times with each year of college and then to apts. after.  If I can do that, this should be a piece of cake.

Larry is having a reach pole made.  Sure, why back in the city growing up, everybody knew what a reach pole is.  I'm guessing this reaches between the two axles since there is nothing there now and the box is for carrying and the pole is for reaching.  Or, am I reaching?

I've moved my three daughters a combined 29 times with each year of college and then to apts. after.  If I can do that, this should be a piece of cake.

Moving offspring is one of the reasons that I have an enclosed trailer.  As we speak, my younger daughter is picking up the truck and trailer for another move.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

Yup. The reach pole goes between the two axles. The draw pole goes out front between the horses. And then there are eveners even. ;) You Purdy right smart fur a City Kid Brother Brian. :D  Dandy Dave!

We won't need much help to load it, but you guys are most welcome to come, say hello, and watch if you like JD. Dandy Dave!

Let me know what day you plan to load it.  We may be able to get some labor help from the local chapter members on this end.

Well Pardner Dave,

Back in Birmingham, Michigan in the 1960's I had me a wagon.  Carried all sorts of things.  Rocks, Dirt, Tonka Trucks, packed snow, me. . . . . it was pretty beat up on account of my two older brothers doing the same and then some.

I recollect it said Radio Flyer on the side.  Never found the radio but we made it fly down the driveway plenty of times.  It had a bit of an over-steer problem too.

Looking forward to our visit.  If all goes to plan, have the porch light on, on 9/2 and you can sing me Happy Birthday too.

Signed

Assistant Wagon Master

Edited by Brian_Heil (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Look forward to seeing you guys. This Flint Wagon is a might big fer your Radio Flyer to haul. And if it is beat up and neglected since the 1960's, it most likely won't endure the miles. I do however remember the over steer aspect by personal experience on a similar 1960's unit. My first encounter with high speeds, gravity, and road rash. LOL. What don't kill you, can only make you smarter. ;) Dandy Dave!  

• Like 1

Update.

This is going to happen, and I'm rather excited. 

We have secured, through General Motors, a Flint built 2015 GMC 2500 HD Duramax to go pick up a Flint built Flint Wagon Works wagon in New York.  Kevin Kirbitz, thank you for all your assistance!

I need to give a shout out to Nick Branoff of Brown and Sons Automotive.  Brown and Sons has stepped up to underwrite our fuel costs to drive out and back to Dandy Dave's to pick up the wagon.  Those familiar with Flint will know that Brown and Sons is a fourth generation, old school, auto parts supplier right in town.  Stools at the counter to rest on and contemplate that ever important purchase.  The guys who answer the phone or greet you can actually shave and have been in the parts business for years.  The owners, Nick and his brother Pete, are there too, every day.  Both Nick and his Dad are also my neighbors and heard about this adventure and did not hesitate to step up and assist. Thank you Nick and George!  http://brownandsonsauto.com/

May I also add that Larry Schramm has donated his enclosed trailer to make this happen.  And let's not forget Dandy Dave who knew what he was looking at when he saw the wagon.

As I think about it, my contribution is about 250#s of travel ballast.  Larry?  If I behave, can I ride in the front seat?  Will there be BCA'rs at every overpass waving flags?  It is my birthday on the 2nd, will Dandy Dave bake me a cake?  No pressure Dave, we'll be in the neighborhood as they say.

Edited by Brian_Heil (see edit history)
  • Like 1