Budtee

Windshield Wiper

Recommended Posts

I have an 89 8v. I  just tried the wipers and the linkage to the drivers side is disconnected.  I have the shop manual and have started to remove the motor.  Looks pretty straightforward but I am wondering where I can get the necessary plastic parts to hook to the pivots.  Is it a Chrysler item?  Any info or hints will be appreciated as always.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an 89 8v. I  just tried the wipers and the linkage to the drivers side is disconnected.  I have the shop manual and have started to remove the motor.  Looks pretty straightforward but I am wondering where I can get the necessary plastic parts to hook to the pivots.  Is it a Chrysler item?  Any info or hints will be appreciated as always.

Yes, it is the same plastic retainer as the rest of the FWD line uses

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 1990 TC wiper motor on the passgenger side is not working.  I don't think that the motor is rrunning but I think that both wipers are on a single motor.  Can someone tell me if that is right?  Also, I would like some advice/directions as to how find the problem and fix it.

 

Thanks, Lowell

 
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One wiper motor on the car. It connects to a linkage arm with a bushing (probably plastic, never looked). That one arm is connected to an arm for the driver side with a small (under 1 inch diameter) plastic bushing and to an arm for the passenger side with same style bushing. If the small bushing goes out then the corresponding wiper stops moving but the other keeps working. If the main arm bushing goes out then both sides stop working at the same time. Pretty simple explanation of the system and there could be more linkage arms but I never actually looked at a TC/Daytona/LeBaron to know for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just had the same problem on my 89 8v.    Got the plastic bushings from my local NAPA parts store.  Center bushings (on the motor) are different from the bushings at the wiper arms. Replace them all while you have them out.  Not a big job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to sound too ignorant but how do you get to the wiper motor and arms assembly?

Remove the wiper arms, find little release clip at attaching base, lift tab and wiggle while pulling until arm is off. Pull up rubber weather strip in engine compartment to free front edge of cover, remove screws (I don't remember how many) and then remove plastic cover. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am dealing with the same issue - passenger side wiper not working, driver side is fine.  I removed the wipers and the plastic cover but can barely fit my hand into the access hole where the passenger linkage is.  Is there a trick to reconnecting the bushing to the linkage and pivot assembly?  Do I need to remove the pivot assembly ("View in Circle Y" of blue service manual page 8K-5)?  Do I need to remove the motor too?  Any tips are appreciated.  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Does185 said:

I am dealing with the same issue - passenger side wiper not working, driver side is fine.  I removed the wipers and the plastic cover but can barely fit my hand into the access hole where the passenger linkage is.  Is there a trick to reconnecting the bushing to the linkage and pivot assembly?  Do I need to remove the pivot assembly ("View in Circle Y" of blue service manual page 8K-5)?  Do I need to remove the motor too?  Any tips are appreciated.  Thanks.

You should only have to install a new 3799089 wiper bushing into the right wiper link and then snap the bushing into the right wiper pivot.

That may require a pair of pliers or channel lock pliers. Yes, it is difficult for most hands to get in there, you just have to persevere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks much.  Picked up two bushings 3799089 at the dealer today and the install was not too hard.  Definitely needed channel locks to squeeze them on.  Took Budtee's advice and did both sides.  With a few adjustments to position, both wipers are now working beautifully.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

had to do this surgery today...but the 3799089 wiper bushing does NOT easily fit into the wiper arm, nor does ist "snap in"...it was easier to change the f#@*$& heater core...it does not fit, it does not snap in..I will just drive around without wipers I guess

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, shelbyone said:

had to do this surgery today...but the 3799089 wiper bushing does NOT easily fit into the wiper arm, nor does ist "snap in"...it was easier to change the f#@*$& heater core...it does not fit, it does not snap in..I will just drive around without wipers I guess

 

Come on now, if the other guys can do it, you can!  

This is no time to give up.

MAN-UP MARINE!, or maybe you're not a Marine. Then just get with the program. This is not a good place to "bellyache".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Hemi Dude said:

Come on now, if the other guys can do it, you can!  

This is no time to give up.

MAN-UP MARINE!, or maybe you're not a Marine. Then just get with the program. This is not a good place to "bellyache".

Ha..You know me...giving up is never a question! (trained with marines at one point but not a member of that party) 

Still...something so easy can be so frustrating...I am sure everybody who worked on our beloved car knows that feeling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It definitely is not possible with just fingers.  You gotta man up!  Some good pressure on channel locks did it for me.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Does185 said:

It definitely is not possible with just fingers.  You gotta man up!  Some good pressure on channel locks did it for me.

LOL. trust me, I have a very extensive tool collection!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...